The New Normal - What do you see that is becoming the New Normal?

1 lurker | 38 watchers
JR
Jun 2020
10:27am, 12 Jun 2020
354 posts
  •  
JR
For years we’ve had signs in shops & garages staying peoole must remove helmets/face coverings. Who here would be prepared to work late at night in a 24 hour garage with people coming in with a licence to have their face covered! Not many I suspect.
Jun 2020
10:29am, 12 Jun 2020
12,379 posts
  •  
Badger
Assuming I correctly understand your first sentence, my sister lives in Hong Kong and I am in touch with what is actually happening there. It hasn’t gone away and the underlying political issues absolutely have not gone away, but there is substantially less violence than there was pre-covid.

I didn’t say it would be for a short time; I did say it will all go away more quickly if people cooperate.

R is falling because of lockdown. We need to ease lockdown while keeping it low.

I have been in work every day this week, incidentally, and we are all using masks & distancing and operating internal track and trace. One or two people have tested positive but there has been no spread.
JR
Jun 2020
10:32am, 12 Jun 2020
355 posts
  •  
JR
Until the government takes action on mass gatherings I will be politely exercising my own judgement as to what is normal. If it’s OK to exercise your one judgement & act accordingly if you believe the cause is just (as the current message seems) that’s the logic I will be adopting.
JR
Jun 2020
10:33am, 12 Jun 2020
356 posts
  •  
JR
Apologies - I think I’m straying into politics. I’ll shut up now but I do feel very strongly about just accepting something without question because you are told to accept it whilst the evidence of your own eyes shows the contrary.
Jun 2020
11:17am, 12 Jun 2020
64,627 posts
  •  
swittle
Re trains: an academic on BBC R4 PM prog. y'day eve explained that tube trains, provided windows were open, offered a particularly efficient way of air circulating and being replaced. Her expertise lay in building design, Leeds Uni. iirc.
Jun 2020
12:02pm, 12 Jun 2020
50,205 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
JR: there has been a lot of debate around masks. However they seem to have become normalised in many countries when people are in close proximity. My friend in Vienna says life there is normal except that they have to cover their faces on public transport and in shops.

If they only slow transmission rather than stop it then that must be worth it. I don’t like the thought much myself and it seems stupid wearing them outdoors, but at least for a while it seems like we will have to wear them in certain places and suck it up. If you feel like your rights are being infringed, you have the right to not take public transport.
Jun 2020
12:47pm, 12 Jun 2020
4,118 posts
  •  
run free
Many airports around the world require you to wear a mask as well as airlines are making it mandatory for you to wear a mask or risk being turned away.

If I had to wear a mask because it makes people feel safe, I will and I'd make it fun ;)

Should be noted for the UK: 15th June it will be mandatory to wear a face covering on buses and trains or risk being fined.
Jun 2020
12:57pm, 12 Jun 2020
4,119 posts
  •  
run free
The new normal will move towards a "We" rather than a "Me" focus
Jun 2020
1:08pm, 12 Jun 2020
3,939 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Not for long, judging on the way people round by us have been behaving!
JR
Jun 2020
1:49pm, 12 Jun 2020
358 posts
  •  
JR
I’ll take lectures from people (I mean in the real world not on here) about the we versus me when they lose some weight & get a bit fitter. I find it rank hypocrisy a morbidly obese smoker telling me to wear a mask to protect others & the NHS. I’ll help the we by ensuring I eat well & live healthy so not to be a burden in NHS. If demonstrators gather en mass & can do what they like with no consequences I can’t see how wearing a mask could ever be policed.

Will people on long haul flights be asked to wear them for 12/13 hours. Could potentially be dangerous. Not to mention I don’t think it would be a good idea pilots wearing them for an extended period. What about kids - they’re not required for young kids yet we are told they can’t got to schools as they are super spreaders!

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
What do you predict will be the New Normal?

What are you seeing now as the New Normal?

Govt Guidelines on rebuilding and normalising Covid by restructuring: gov.uk