Scottish Runners 2016

2 lurkers | 64 watchers
Oct 2016
12:57pm, 6 Oct 2016
2,455 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Is it reasonable/fair to say that a large portion of people if not actually getting a PB did at least run faster on this years course than previous years!?
So conditions and course length would be the two main areas to look at I suggest.
Dosnt mean this years course was short, last years and previous years may have been long and Glasgow may just be a "fast" course.
Oct 2016
12:58pm, 6 Oct 2016
363 posts
  •  
Ulric
Not done the HM course myself but usually when I do the GSR 10k I do about an extra mile weaving around all the other people. Mind you if you are in the front from the gun you can't use that excuse!
Oct 2016
10:32am, 10 Oct 2016
First-time poster!!
  •  
arsehole_from_letsrun
Hey, I'm one of the many arseholes from lets run referred to earlier.

I think it's healthy to have a good debate about this so I'm glad you are all talking about this at least.

However, your mapping of the route was a bit off so I felt the need to post here too. You took the wrong road onto the M8 for starters:
anonmgur.com
Otherwise you did get the exact route ran, so that's fine - However, you can't use auto mapping, and go round all the corners at 90 degrees, and map down the middle of the street. Runners do not run like this, and neither do course measurers measure like this. You need to follow the inside of the corners, taking almost the fastest line. (I believe they leave a margin of around 1m from the inside, If anyone know's the exact rules please feel free to correct me).

So can you maybe see how over a half marathon of this many corners, if you map every corner long and map the M8 incorrectly, you might over measure the course?

I am fairly sure that the previous course was accurately measured, and was the correct distance, and that this year is short.

The suggestion that the previous course was long and this year's was the correct distance is a result of mapping all the corners long in both route maps.

Anyway that's my opinion, maybe I'll convince a few people of it. If not, we'll agree to disagree and I'll leave you guys to it.

Cheers.
Oct 2016
10:38am, 10 Oct 2016
5,898 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I'm a regular Letsrun reader although many of the threads are totally incomprehensible, I found your evidence (and others like the number of PB/SBs) convincing in terms of needing a re-measure, whether anyone who matters will share this belief I'm not so sure.
Oct 2016
11:10pm, 11 Oct 2016
366 posts
  •  
princesszee
Uh oh. I got into London marathon. 🙈So I have 6 months to train for what seems like the impossible just now! Looking for someone to recommend a beginners running group in Edinburgh/Livingston or nearby that I could use as a starting place to get my miles up initially? Oh and hiya! It's been a while since I was on here! Been busy getting married and things hehe. Thanks! Z
Oct 2016
1:31pm, 12 Oct 2016
7,158 posts
  •  
Duchess
Ah, so now you're queenzee? Congratulations bunting

Would a jogscotland group work for you?
Oct 2016
1:45pm, 12 Oct 2016
27,833 posts
  •  
Old Croc
JS or a local club would be first stop
Oct 2016
12:12pm, 17 Oct 2016
10,599 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
GSI Events again

edinburghnews.scotsman.com

We really should just stop entering their events
Oct 2016
12:23pm, 17 Oct 2016
12,349 posts
  •  
Dvorak
My head exploded at "Thousands took part in East Lothian’s Scottish Half Marathon on Sunday, September 18 to raise money for charity".

Once I'd got past that, nothing new to those who have seen the internets. It's not just the cock-ups though (varied and frequent as they are), it's the lying that accompanies them and the apparent complete failure to learn from past mistakes. Many people now seem to have their medals, but missing any inscription to show what race they are for (apart from that they look identical to last year's medals) and there was also someone who had paid £6 extra for a personalised insert - guess what, no insert.
Oct 2016
12:27pm, 17 Oct 2016
12,350 posts
  •  
Dvorak
On a more positive note, free entry for kids to Edinburgh zoo this week if they bring a pumpkin carved like a tiger blackcat :-) (That was in the sidebar.)

Just as well GSI events are not in charge of the tigers.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk