Scottish Runners 2016

64 watchers
Oct 2016
7:01pm, 4 Oct 2016
481 posts
  •  
andydgg
perfect conditions for great Scottish run, cold start then the clouds cleared...back to the better course and I liked the tweaks too... 1 49 for the half for me
Oct 2016
10:27pm, 4 Oct 2016
25,971 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah lovely day, great atmosphere, fantastic performance from many, including Callum H. Carp run for me tho 2 mins slower than wanted and I min slower than last year.. Enjoyed burger with my son in the pub after though. :-) G
Oct 2016
9:38am, 5 Oct 2016
2,882 posts
  •  
STOOSH
:)G- you know you'll run faster next time out but you have the correct attitude that your run didn't spoil the day :)

I'm making a return to some form of racing this weekend at the east district xc at livvi.. I expect to be slow but it'll be a good lung buster @4k !!
Oct 2016
9:56am, 5 Oct 2016
1,977 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I read on another forum that questions are being asked about the course - looked at a few runner's logs, including your's HG, and most people do seem to have come up a bit short.

You'd think that after the fiasco with the Manchester and other NW England courses, that race directors would be doubly careful to ensure they had a correct distance.

Really hope that Callum Hawkins doesn't lose his Scottish record over a mis-measurement, that would be a real shame. Plus of course it would be equally as bad for all the others that set PBs ( or qualifying times for other races, I heard someone say they had a NY Marathon qualifier from the half ).

Might just be idle gossip, but the fact that lots of GPSs measured 13.08, 13.09, etc then doesn't look too good given that in theory you never ruin the shortest distance possible.
Oct 2016
10:03am, 5 Oct 2016
5,886 posts
  •  
The_Saint
People on Letsrun have done some mapping letsrun.com

The latest posts have the details
Oct 2016
12:24pm, 5 Oct 2016
10,558 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I read an official statement somewhere that said they had a certificate and the course was laid our properly. But then again Manchester and the Scottish Half said similar initially before being found out.

I watched the full race on catch up and I think that the splits looked appropriate for the eventual time. There were 3 miles late on that broke kipsorio and were c20s a mile faster and for the last couple the pain/effort on Hawkins face was clear as he battled to keep it together. It looked like a genuine quick effort to me and really hope they haven't got this wrong.

HGs slower than desired time gives me some hope that its measured correctly and I am sure Mr G himself would hate to find he has run even slower than he thought :-O
Oct 2016
12:32pm, 5 Oct 2016
1,978 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Thanks The_Saint for that link, if those two differences that the guy has measured are the only 2 differences from previous course, then it does look shorter, but was the previous course the exact distance, or maybe a bit long ?

Baz, I think the official statement was due to the course, as laid out and ran, was not the same as what the published map said it would be - that in itself is obviously not an issue as long as the course measured and laid out is correct distance.
Oct 2016
1:00pm, 5 Oct 2016
2,883 posts
  •  
STOOSH
They had said somewhere that the details of the course online were incorrect, something to do with going over a bridge twice but when they showed the map on the bbc it only went over the once!!
Oct 2016
1:21pm, 5 Oct 2016
25,972 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I disagree with those who say short. The GPS signal in Pollok Park always measures the Pollok parkrun shorter than 5K but it is not short.

And thanks for pointing out that my slower than expected performance was compounded by a suspect short course! ;-)

Thanks Stoosh - was a nice day, and yes, I'll run a better half again one day. But need to work out what I need to do to train and race better. :-) G
Oct 2016
2:12pm, 5 Oct 2016
482 posts
  •  
andydgg
13.15 on my garmin,

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk