Scottish Runners 2016

4 lurkers | 64 watchers
Nov 2016
5:33pm, 1 Nov 2016
5 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Anyone doing the Templeton 10? What's the course like? Might Parkrun at Falkirk on Saturday, don't want to over do it though, it's hilly.
Nov 2016
5:58pm, 1 Nov 2016
12,400 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Not running Templeton 10 this year but have before. It's a tough course. Roughly climbing the first half, descending the second, but with a final near mile uphill on trail with a finish on grass. It's left a few people broken. One year had incredible winds where I was blown right across the road at points and had to tack into the wind like a boat. It is very scenic though. If it is cold overnight (like tonight) watch out for icy bits on the way down.

I wouldn't particularly suggest Falkirk parkrun as a warmup event for it ;-). I'm volunteering (probably marshalling) so if you see a leopard on the course, say hi blackcat.
Nov 2016
6:06pm, 1 Nov 2016
6 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Might give Falkirk a miss then, undecided though. Did my first marathon a few weeks ago, don't know if it's too soon to do a tough(ish) weekend.
Nov 2016
6:25pm, 1 Nov 2016
12,401 posts
  •  
Dvorak
What, because I'll be there :-o ? ;-). Keeping your powder dry for Templeton is a reasonable idea, though. Blog from Medalsut about the 2013 event (the last one I ran) - I was remembering she had found it more horrific than she did llama medalslut.com Nice shirt that year.

Couple of other things: Unless very early, you'll probably be parked quite a bit from race HQ and it is still a fair distance from getting into Dundee up to the race at Clatto. And it's also quite a step from registration to the race start (luckily the finish (and buffet cake) is back at HQ.)
Nov 2016
6:41pm, 1 Nov 2016
7 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Cheers for the info, been there before, the wife has run it.
Nov 2016
8:57pm, 1 Nov 2016
10,664 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
did I miss the announcement or did no one spot that Alloa is open.....luckily its not closed yet
Nov 2016
10:22pm, 1 Nov 2016
696 posts
  •  
FergusG
Good shout Baz. I dithered in 2014 (wasn't sure I could manage a Half Marathon) and ended up missing out when it sold out. I had to wait until 2015 before I got a place, and passed up <I>this</I> year as it was just a bit too close to Manchester. That's me signed up for 2017 now though. Should fit nicely into the training schedule for London :-)
Nov 2016
10:25pm, 1 Nov 2016
697 posts
  •  
FergusG
Feckin autocorrect broke my italics tags! They need to be lower case.
Nov 2016
10:50pm, 1 Nov 2016
26,023 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh thanks. I seem to have entered again. Again. :-) G
Nov 2016
11:47pm, 1 Nov 2016
2,464 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Wont be tempted by Alloa, same day as Loch Katrine which is far more scenic AND for charity while being an event run by a runner for runners :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk