Scottish Runners 2016

64 watchers
May 2016
2:00pm, 24 May 2016
907 posts
  •  
shyfire
Oh bugger I'm either going to have to move and change jobs or I might just be persuaded to get my ass off the sofa and running shoes back out the cupboard!!!!
May 2016
2:13pm, 24 May 2016
9,773 posts
  •  
Star
with all the wee towns that this race is snaking through they've probably had a task to fit a big event in. there is the highland games dotted throughout June, July and August and then Stirling has the Armed Forces weekend which I think is usually June as well. that's always a big event with special parking etc needed. So May just might have been the best option anyway.

I would prefer Stirling to Edinburgh, but that's because for me it's much easier to get to and from.
May 2016
2:33pm, 24 May 2016
3,296 posts
  •  
Nelly
I've plotted out the (approx.) route just for you baz_p (not because I'm bored at work, honest ;-)) http://www.fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=1760600 I'm missing a bit of distance, but you get the general idea of the course profile.

As you say, the organisation of the laps of the town at the end will be interesting... mapping it out I realised there must be 2.5 laps (not 1.5 as I imagined), so I'm not really sure I'd fancy running past the finish straight at about 20 and 23 miles!
May 2016
3:39pm, 24 May 2016
127 posts
  •  
SooWoo
cobbly old Stirling Bridge at 20 miles ish!!
May 2016
3:45pm, 24 May 2016
9,711 posts
  •  
JulesR
Armed Forces Day was a one-off spoiler in Indy Ref year. It's normally held in places with water like Portsmouth so the Navy can join in but Stirling Provost bid for it in 2014 - the site's never been used again (except for gazing sheep who seem happy with it)
May 2016
3:46pm, 24 May 2016
11,777 posts
  •  
Dvorak
The real treat will be the Stirling Bridge the second time around ;-). Especially if it has been raining.

I think it's a shame the finish is not on the Esplanade, mind. Be great for spectating up through the Top O' Th' Toun.

(I wonder how they will solve the logistical issue of the start and finish being separate? Shuttle buses, I expect - I wonder how much tickets will be?)
May 2016
4:25pm, 24 May 2016
2,159 posts
  •  
baz p
cheers Nelly, good to see the variation in the course along the route.
May 2016
8:23pm, 24 May 2016
6,849 posts
  •  
Duchess
Tongue firmly in cheek Nelly - commercially astute and out of order are pretty similar for many entities. Don't Great Run have form in that area with their Scottish runs already?

There are some pretty major roads involved in that route, it's going to be interesting logistics.
May 2016
9:04pm, 24 May 2016
8,162 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I quite fancy it, a local marathon with no travel costs and no hotel stay. If it's no good they'll not get my money again. It's not too expensive, Great North Run is £60 for a half. Let's see if it's value for money.
May 2016
9:12pm, 24 May 2016
1,829 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I'd want to know what they're going to do with the A84 between safari park and Doune before I signed up. They won't be able to close the road I doubt, and there's no path or cycle lane or anything, and it's really really busy...........

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk