•  
Son of a Pronator Man
I suppose we have all seen the news about the Stirling Marathon in 2017
May 2016
12:24pm, 24 May 2016
3,293 posts
  •  
Nelly
SaoPy - I did mention it in http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=58965 earlier, although that was a few hours before it was official.

Personally, I think Great Run are a little bit out of order holding an event just one week before Scotland's biggest (existing) marathon, and they even held the launch just a few days before this years edition of the race! They obviously knew what they were doing, as the Great Manchester Run is normally held on the weekend that Stirling will be on in 2017, so they've moved GMR back a week in 2017.
May 2016
12:48pm, 24 May 2016
10,986 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Happy days. :-)

I appear to have entered my first marathon! :-O
May 2016
12:50pm, 24 May 2016
6,848 posts
  •  
Duchess
I think they may more accurately be described as making a very astute move to capitalise on the contrast to an event that, whilst flat and PB-inducing, has a reputation for being unscenic and notoriously poorly organised.
May 2016
12:55pm, 24 May 2016
10,988 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
I like the fact that it starts "out there somewhere" and ends up in town, whereas Edinburgh marathon dumps you in Musselburgh (which is definitely "somewhere out there") after 26 miles.
May 2016
1:01pm, 24 May 2016
3,294 posts
  •  
Nelly
Duchess - all those things may be true with regard to EMF, but why have the new race one week before the established event? Surely, the most marked effect will be to split the entry between the two events, rather than significantly grow the total number of entrants. Would the Scottish marathon calendar have been stronger for another big event in Autumn instead of two big events a week apart?
May 2016
1:35pm, 24 May 2016
10,122 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Nelly, problem is that we have Loch Ness and the Glasgow Half just a week or two apart in the Autumn so there isn't really a gap in the calendar then, albeit I suppose an autumn central scotland option would be good to have
May 2016
1:39pm, 24 May 2016
1,825 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Could have gone for early Spring, ie VLM/GMM time. Quite a few people do one of these plus EMF at the moment.............
May 2016
1:47pm, 24 May 2016
3,295 posts
  •  
Nelly
That's exactly my point Gus; next year GMM will be 8-weeks before EMF. As someone admittedly looking in from the outside, there appears to be plenty of room in the Scottish running calendar for both of these events to be successful, but Great Run appear to have deliberately made these two events clash.
May 2016
1:57pm, 24 May 2016
2,158 posts
  •  
baz p
its mentioned as flat... but dunblane is a hilly place!!! I'd like to see the profile first. also unsure how the loop around the town later on in the race will pan out.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk