Politics

15 lurkers | 215 watchers
12:23pm
12:23pm, 19 Sep 2024
25,640 posts
  •  
larkim
There is an inevitable consequence of putting "high wage" countries in a freedom of movement pool with "low wage" countries, that the workers will be drawn towards the higher wage economies. No argument about that.

But whether you view that as being intentionally to line the coffers of the business owners in high wage countries, or to drive up standards in the low wage countries, I think probably reflects your inherently prejudged views about the EU.
12:25pm
12:25pm, 19 Sep 2024
25,641 posts
  •  
larkim
I know many aren't on X today, but if you find a chance to listen to this clip of James O'Brien tearing into Farage as part of the handover from one programme to another today I'd say that it would be worth your while.

x.com
12:34pm
12:34pm, 19 Sep 2024
29,316 posts
  •  
richmac
Christ are people still peddling that guff about brexit & the EU?

Have wages for the working classes risen dramatically since Brexit - no
Have they even kept up with price increases? - No
Have the poorer end of society been affected more by the skills shortages caused by Brexit ? - yes

Theres the Brexit you voted for mass impoverishment built on a lie sold to the guilble by a charlatan
12:36pm
12:36pm, 19 Sep 2024
11,673 posts
  •  
Fields
If you read the articles there is very little benefit to the lower wage countries. If the EU was serious about raising standards in this way they could bring in a minimum wage, they have to have the same fiscal policy so why not, because it’s a neoliberal club for the benefit of the bosses that’s why not

A post dripping with your Western European privilege as ever
12:40pm
12:40pm, 19 Sep 2024
11,674 posts
  •  
Fields
richmac wrote:Christ are people still peddling that guff about brexit & the EU? Have wages for the working classes risen dramatically since Brexit - no Have they even kept up with price increases? - No Have the poorer end of society been affected more by the skills shortages caused by Brexit ? - yes Theres the Brexit you voted for mass impoverishment built on a lie sold to the guilble by a charlatan

Sorry who mentioned Brexit?

I didn’t as it isn’t relevant to Ireland and exploitation of low waged folk by business.

You clearly haven’t bothered to read the article I linked to.
12:45pm
12:45pm, 19 Sep 2024
11,675 posts
  •  
Fields
It’s also pretty poor that the pro EU camp on here are defending the practices described (falsifying of payslips, lack of contracts, forced extra hours not paid, low wages and terrible working conditions). I thought they regarded themselves as European but I see no solidarity with their fellow Europeans.
jda
12:46pm
12:46pm, 19 Sep 2024
17,826 posts
  •  
jda
Labour mobility is both a social and economic good and any dinosaur arguing to the contrary is just demonstrating their ignorance.
12:56pm
12:56pm, 19 Sep 2024
11,676 posts
  •  
Fields
jda wrote:Labour mobility is both a social and economic good and any dinosaur arguing to the contrary is just demonstrating their ignorance.

Can you explain the ways it’s good for those people in the article. Two or three reasons would be fine
12:58pm
12:58pm, 19 Sep 2024
25,642 posts
  •  
larkim
Fields wrote:If you read the articles there is very little benefit to the lower wage countries. If the EU was serious about raising standards in this way they could bring in a minimum wage, they have to have the same fiscal policy so why not, because it’s a neoliberal club for the benefit of the bosses that’s why not A post dripping with your Western European privilege as ever

EU can't bring in a minimum wage, they don't have the fiscal oversight to allow for this.
1:03pm
1:03pm, 19 Sep 2024
9,429 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Fields wrote:jda wrote:Labour mobility is both a social and economic good and any dinosaur arguing to the contrary is just demonstrating their ignorance. Can you explain the ways it’s good for those people in the article. Two or three reasons would be fine

Is your argument that if something doesn’t benefit 100% of the population then it shouldn’t be allowed to benefit 80% (or fill in whatever percentage you choose here)?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.