Politics

36 lurkers | 212 watchers
9 Aug
1:12pm, 9 Aug 2024
6,106 posts
  •  
Ally-C
HappyG(rrr) wrote:Yeah that Labour ex councillor needs to be prosecuted for that language. Absolutely horrible.

I’ve not seen the clip. He went too far by what I’ve read. But there’s a fascist element that will only respond to getting taken off the streets.
jda
9 Aug
1:14pm, 9 Aug 2024
17,615 posts
  •  
jda
My wife enjoyed did our company accounts. Not really worth getting an accountant for, we had very little activity though 3-monthly VAT returns was a bit tedious. She was already doing 4 personal tax returns each year. I think in a parallel universe she’d probably have been an accountant :-)
9 Aug
2:01pm, 9 Aug 2024
28,869 posts
  •  
richmac
rf_fozzy wrote:Cheg wrote:Normally people use their accountants or solicitors address to prevent their residential address being out there. Got to make getting your Amazon deliveries a little awkward. Personally I use my address as my address....

Think Cheg means for Companies house etc & I agree thats common practice
9 Aug
6:21pm, 9 Aug 2024
6,111 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Big Antifa turnout in Belfast tonight allegedly.
10 Aug
8:47am, 10 Aug 2024
28,876 posts
  •  
richmac
Question here, what rating, for want of a better phrase, do we award the governments handling of the Farage riots?

The policing, political response and court process I think are the 3 relevant areas, but feel free to add your own.

I think it's actually been very good.

From being on the back foot at the start, quickly adapting, Starmer pulling together a special unit in days, then the courts stepping up and processing cases in days.

And the absolute annihilation of the fabricated 2 tier bollocks.

Also, the public stepping up.

Reform and it's lackeys have had their necks firmly wound back in.
10 Aug
9:10am, 10 Aug 2024
19,018 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
I've definitely been disappointed by how wrong-footed they were to begin with - I'd have thought the GCHQ types and similar would have a closer eye on the far right Tommy Two-Names supporter online groups, but that's less a government criticism than a structural one.

I've also been very worried over this time for neighbours and colleagues, as verified information was scarce, leading to a lot of hearsay stuff.

It feels like it's the public response that has quelled the behaviour more than the government, although the judiciary's speedy response is a credit given the pressure they remain in.

With good weather predicted this weekend, it feels far from over at this stage.
jda
10 Aug
9:30am, 10 Aug 2024
17,618 posts
  •  
jda
I don't think it's easy to predict what was really a viral event. Robinson and his ilk are always agitating over something, you can't be on high alert for ever or else it's not high alert, just normal alert! I'm basically impressed, though perhaps it's more the public than official response that has been most impressive.
10 Aug
12:36pm, 10 Aug 2024
22,884 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I don't see how you would possibly predict someone on the far right making a conspiracy theory up and it going viral.

Viral events on social media are notoriously difficult to predict.

"The government should have known" line is also what quite a few of the far right enablers (e.g. Matt Goodwin) have been pushing - "arguing" that it's the level of immigration "forcing" the rioters to riot and be racist.

Which of course is total bollocks. Not matter how much Douglas Murray or Goodwin or others dress it up in 'academic-sounding' language.

Their claims are almost always fact free and without evidence to back them up (or if there is, it is cherry-picked).
jda
10 Aug
2:03pm, 10 Aug 2024
17,621 posts
  •  
jda
Even if you believe that immigration levels made it happen, they didn't make it happen on a specific day and in a specific place.

Kind of like the poster here who has predicted about 25 of the last 3 political defenestrations.
11 Aug
9:53am, 11 Aug 2024
2,938 posts
  •  
Canute
I think that both the Government and the tolerant majority in our society deserve credit for the response to the riots. Let’s hope their success is sustained.

Perhaps the Government were aught a little flat footed for a day or two at the beginning, but I think it would be unfair to be critical as the social-media fuelled spread of these riots was unprecedented.

We have had riots before. As recently as 19th July there was rioting in Leeds – triggered by the response to the handling by social services of an alleged child abuse case. The spread was rapid but confined to a single city. On the other hand the misguide response to the Southport murders spread in an extraordinary manner.

It is to the credit of the Government that there have already been prosecutions of social media provocateurs. I do not know whether or not new legislation is required. However, it is clear that a new level of vigilance is required to detect to the sudden emergence of viral provocation from the continual rumbling background of horrid hate speech in social media.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.