•  
Fields
Sounds like the last government tbh
15 Jul
1:58pm, 15 Jul 2024
25,129 posts
  •  
larkim
Hypothetically, if the attacker over the weekend had killed Trump, is there a proto-Trump waiting in the wings? Or is he the only game in town?
J2R
15 Jul
2:24pm, 15 Jul 2024
5,464 posts
  •  
J2R
Yes, larkim, I do absolutely believe that. Trump will also undoubtedly attempt to imprison anyone who opposes him, and as the Supreme Court has been rigged to be supportive of him there is no reason why he should not be able to do this. Basically he is now immune to prosecution. And you know what? The 40%-50% of America who put him in won't look on with horror at what they've done but will be right behind it. He's doing God's work!
15 Jul
3:04pm, 15 Jul 2024
25,130 posts
  •  
larkim
J2R wrote:Yes, larkim, I do absolutely believe that. Trump will also undoubtedly attempt to imprison anyone who opposes him, and as the Supreme Court has been rigged to be supportive of him there is no reason why he should not be able to do this. Basically he is now immune to prosecution. And you know what? The 40%-50% of America who put him in won't look on with horror at what they've done but will be right behind it. He's doing God's work!

On the "basically he is now immune to prosecution", surely that equally applies to Biden? Is it just blind faith that Biden won't do any otherwise illegal acts whilst in office and use his immunity?

I do "get" the fear; that's undeniably real. But I still can't see it happening.

But as others have said, my sort of ostrich mentality has definitely not always worked in the past!
15 Jul
3:09pm, 15 Jul 2024
25,131 posts
  •  
larkim
I also wonder about the "imprison anyone" bit. How, precisely? Executive order, backed by compliant FBI / secret service? Then requiring the complicity of both the local judiciary / local prison system?

I find it all a bit far fetched.

He would be bad - very, very bad. He would act in ways which we consider to be illegal, absolutely. But the extremes suggested?
15 Jul
3:18pm, 15 Jul 2024
32,774 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The federal judge overseeing the classified documents charges against former president Donald Trump has dismissed the indictment on the grounds that special counsel Jack Smith was improperly appointed, according to a new court filing Monday.

The USA is falling apart at the seams now.
15 Jul
3:36pm, 15 Jul 2024
43,310 posts
  •  
Nellers
@larkim I think the Presidential Immunity thing would have to get past the Supreme Court in practice and Biden would therefore be vulnerable to the fact that the USSC is skewed in favour of Republicans.
15 Jul
3:36pm, 15 Jul 2024
32,775 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
larkim wrote:I also wonder about the "imprison anyone" bit. How, precisely? Executive order, backed by compliant FBI / secret service? Then requiring the complicity of both the local judiciary / local prison system? I find it all a bit far fetched. He would be bad - very, very bad. He would act in ways which we consider to be illegal, absolutely. But the extremes suggested?

I think you are underestimating Trump here. He breaks the law and then uses his money to deploy every possible legal tactic to evade responsibility. So far it’s worked a treat - see above. Also consider that now he has his own Supreme Court which has just given him kingly immunity. “When the President does it, that means it’s not illegal.”

Suspend Habeas Corpus citing national security threats. Job done.

In fact Abraham Lincoln did it, so there’s precedent.
15 Jul
3:51pm, 15 Jul 2024
25,132 posts
  •  
larkim
Nellers wrote:@larkim I think the Presidential Immunity thing would have to get past the Supreme Court in practice and Biden would therefore be vulnerable to the fact that the USSC is skewed in favour of Republicans.

But I don't see how. I know they are polarised on political grounds, but I still don't see them seeing a specific set of circumstances and saying "Biden, that's not a presidential act therefore no immunity" but with Trump on the same situation "That's a presidential act". Again, my naivety may overwhelm!

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.