richmac
bbc.co.uk

For actual reality.
Aug 2023
10:38am, 18 Aug 2023
9,837 posts
  •  
Fields
There would have been someone in a position to authority who didn’t stop it happening in the first place.
Aug 2023
11:10am, 18 Aug 2023
4,128 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
I imagine the responses would have been different if they had been shooting at pictures of certain other people (I'm sure you can all think of examples).
Aug 2023
11:10am, 18 Aug 2023
21,748 posts
  •  
larkim
Someone, agreed. But it's not as if the head general of the UK army ordered Corbyn posters for each barracks, or indeed that the senior command said "nothing to see here". It was unacceptable, and it wasn't just the guys who pulled triggers at fault, obviously.
jda
Aug 2023
12:19pm, 18 Aug 2023
15,327 posts
  •  
jda
It was presumably viewed as fine by those who did it.
Aug 2023
1:02pm, 18 Aug 2023
1,986 posts
  •  
PeterWard5
On Trump - his path to the white house is incredibly narrow - if the GOP put him up as nominee he is effectively reliant on low Dem turnout in 2024 and independents going to him to turn the swing states back to his column. Though current GOP moves to supress minority votes might help to do this in part.

All the polling suggests that independents will not vote for him in sufficient numbers to move the dial and his installation as candidate will move a decent amount of old style GOP folk across to Biden. The Georgia trial is the one he is scared of - he clearly committed the offence and there is tonnes of evidence for it (the phone call being the most damning). I think rallies and speeches will be watched carefully and if there is sufficient to get him or co-conspirators on contempt they will.
Aug 2023
1:06pm, 18 Aug 2023
47,521 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
politico.com

A couple of weeks old, but how is "If you go after me, I'm coming after you." not a threat of violence or an incitement to violence? It feels so dangerous, and the nutters threatening with guns and taking on jurors surely a direct result? They need to start taking injunctions to stop him saying things like that? I know they want to protect free speech and also a risk of just buoying up the most extreme supporters, but there's a risk to life, surely?
Aug 2023
1:15pm, 18 Aug 2023
1,988 posts
  •  
PeterWard5
politico.com A couple of weeks old, but how is "If you go after me, I'm coming after you." not a threat of violence or an incitement to violence? It feels so dangerous, and the nutters threatening with guns and taking on jurors surely a direct result? They need to start taking injunctions to stop him saying things like that? I know they want to protect free speech and also a risk of just buoying up the most extreme supporters, but there's a risk to life, surely?
I agree - sadly I think nothing will be done until the threat becomes more of an actuality particularly in state legislatures sympathetic to Trump.
J2R
Aug 2023
1:18pm, 18 Aug 2023
4,706 posts
  •  
J2R
The thing about Trump is that he is absolutely not a character of Machiavellian cunning. He's fundamentally a loose cannon, shooting his mouth off about all and everything, and inevitably, once he gets into legal deep water this will be his downfall. He'll say something which all the normal protection he has won't be able to help him with.

It's the inevitable consequence of Dunning-Kruger narcissism - he really believes he's the superhero his deluded supporters think he is, and doesn't have the wiles to keep quiet when necessary. Normally he would have highly skilled legal advisers keeping him out of danger, but the quality of the people he has advising him has gone down and down, as no-one half capable wants to be associated with him.
Aug 2023
1:18pm, 18 Aug 2023
21,752 posts
  •  
larkim
It was presumably viewed as fine by those who did it.

As are many bad and wrong things in all countries of the world who didn't have the prospect of a social democratic prime minister (as referenced in Fields' post).

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.