Politics

214 watchers
Aug 2023
5:37pm, 7 Aug 2023
20,741 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The key line in that article on the BBC website is that she hasn't held a constituency clinic since 2020.

How can she possibly be doing her job?

If I didn't turn up at work, didn't do anything work related at all and didn't attend meetings with the required people, how long would it be before I got the sack?

Seems like MPs need some new rules to actually make them do their job.
Aug 2023
5:40pm, 7 Aug 2023
30,738 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Labour in Parliament has about 50% female MPs. It’s one of the reasons why I think the next Labour govt will display a ton more empathy and compassion about the lives of ordinary people than a Tory party which seems to glory in cruelty, selfishness and mean-spiritedness, with their ranks having some particularly awful female members.
Aug 2023
5:41pm, 7 Aug 2023
20,742 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Also in the news:

BBC News - GB News: Politicians' shows under scrutiny in new Ofcom investigations
bbc.co.uk

See this needs to be another rule - how can MPs be doing their job if they're off presenting TV shows.

Being an MP is supposed to be their job. And a very well paid one at that. They shouldn't be allowed to go off doing other non-MP related stuff. Excepting of course vocational things like nursing where *some* continuing practise is essential for them to maintain professional registration.
Aug 2023
5:42pm, 7 Aug 2023
30,739 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I tend to agree but it’s not an easy nut to crack.
Aug 2023
5:46pm, 7 Aug 2023
9,777 posts
  •  
Fields
Labour in Parliament has about 50% female MPs. It’s one of the reasons why I think the next Labour govt will display a ton more empathy and compassion about the lives of ordinary people than a Tory party which seems to glory in cruelty, selfishness and mean-spiritedness, with their ranks having some particularly awful female members.

I would welcome the views of female posters on this post.
Aug 2023
5:49pm, 7 Aug 2023
9,778 posts
  •  
Fields
Agree with all of that Fields. But short of revolution, how do we achieve that level of change? G

I wouldn’t mind a bit of revolution ;-)

But thinking about what might be more immediately achievable. Perhaps PR would be a start. Currently the two main parties are aiming all of their policies at a small number of marginal voters in just a few constituencies, who they’ve largely characterised as prejudiced older men.

I don’t think that reflects how socially liberal most people in the UK are, nor how they favour economic redistribution.
Aug 2023
6:17pm, 7 Aug 2023
22,763 posts
  •  
richmac
I don't really agree with you there JB assuming that women in politics are automatically more emphatic than their male counterparts. Look at thatcher, Patel, Braverman, Badenock, May etc etc all have come out with some fairly horrible things.

You may argue that they felt they had to out men the men as it were and maybe they did but they still said and did those things.

I am optimistic, the names I listed were obviously all Tory, I'd like to think Labour MP's, whatever gender offer more empathy. From what I've seen so far they certainly appear a lot more caring and are a lot more like 'me' than any Tory.
Aug 2023
6:28pm, 7 Aug 2023
30,740 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Fair enough. Other viewpoints are available.
Aug 2023
7:05pm, 7 Aug 2023
3,120 posts
  •  
paulcook
In contrast to Miss No-show putting this out there from last year

bbc.co.uk
Aug 2023
7:21pm, 7 Aug 2023
9,780 posts
  •  
Fields
Fair enough. Other viewpoints are available.

Less sexist ones too

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.