Politics

214 watchers
Aug 2023
3:21pm, 6 Aug 2023
22,736 posts
  •  
richmac
I think the sub text is "We're stuck with what we inherit until we can com up with a better plan" Telling us, or even making shit up about what a better plan looks like would have been fairly obvious, otherwise yo just look gormless.
Aug 2023
7:53pm, 6 Aug 2023
2,814 posts
  •  
Surelynot
I’m not expecting idealism from Starmer. A clue as to what difference a Labour government will make is not unrealistic.
Aug 2023
7:55pm, 6 Aug 2023
123 posts
  •  
5km_is_plenty
The difference is the end of #ToryCorruption
Aug 2023
8:00pm, 6 Aug 2023
2,815 posts
  •  
Surelynot
That’s all?
Aug 2023
8:08pm, 6 Aug 2023
9,773 posts
  •  
Fields
And the start of Labour corruption?
jda
Aug 2023
10:18pm, 6 Aug 2023
15,267 posts
  •  
jda
We’ll have Labour corruption with a sad face? I’d crawl over broken glass to vote for that.
Aug 2023
8:04am, 7 Aug 2023
9,774 posts
  •  
Fields
An interesting read. Current 2 party system makes everything binary (eg JB telling us if we don’t vote labour we end up with tories)

Media and political parties present an exaggerated and often inaccurate view of British peoples attitudes on certain issues - we are more progressive than portrayed. Examples include immigration, unions, climate change. In same way the country may have a lot of wealth but as it’s very inequal in its distribution there are many who are struggling - and always have been.

Labour is too frightened to do anything on emotive wedge issues except get the approval of RW media in case they lose marginal seats. Hence not the party of the progressive.

The hope is with young people who having been dealt a poor hand due to growing up in the neoliberal state have little of the current financial position - housing crisis, depressed wages etc - to conserve (perhaps fozzy would phrase this as demographic war) and favour economic redistribution.

As it stands now the country is more progressive than the regressive minority who have the power and who the political and economic systems serve the establishment i.e. Royal family / big business & corporations / church / landowning aristocracy / political class / media moguls

A couple of examples I can think of recently:

Eg Darwall hedge fund guy in Dartmoor / royal family opting out of inheritance tax and other laws / child abuse scandals covered up. I could go on. You can join the establishment eg become rich enough, rise in the political class but you merely become a part of it you don’t get to change it.

I would add that getting rid of the vested interests of the establishment is essential for this country to be progressive and for things to be equal.

theguardian.com
Aug 2023
8:26am, 7 Aug 2023
47,456 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Agree with all of that Fields. But short of revolution, how do we achieve that level of change? :-) G
Aug 2023
8:32am, 7 Aug 2023
403 posts
  •  
deslauriers
Fields-

That's all very nice, but you sided with those very people by voting Leave. You may claim you were voting against a "neoliberal bloc" etc etc, but you sided with Farage, Johnson, Patel, Crispin Odey et al.

You helped create the situation where the official opposition is too busy trying to placate fellow Leave voters to actually offer any alternatives.
jda
Aug 2023
8:34am, 7 Aug 2023
15,268 posts
  •  
jda
Labour needs to argue in the direction of progressive change. It seems to be too scared to do so (on multiple issues).

We could start by taxing the rich. And investing the money wisely. But unless people are prepared to vote for it, it won't happen.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.