Politics

3 lurkers | 212 watchers
jda
Feb 2020
9:25am, 11 Feb 2020
6,349 posts
  •  
jda
Well of course but don't expect little Englanders to notice or care.
Feb 2020
9:49am, 11 Feb 2020
13,481 posts
  •  
richmac
I suspect they will say something like 'we should just invade Ireland, that'll fix it.' with no trace of irony or understanding.
Feb 2020
10:07am, 11 Feb 2020
1,623 posts
  •  
Surelynot
No change in GDP in the last quarter. Poor performance in manufacturing which wasn't helped by factory closures in November in expectation of Johnson's 'do or die' 31 October Brexit date.
Feb 2020
10:33am, 11 Feb 2020
23,037 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
As someone who dearly wanted Scotland to vote to stay in the union last time, recent events have rather modified my opinion and I wouldn't blame it at all for voting to escape the clutch of Little England. However, Brexit has rather proven two propositions:
1 Narrow majorities on important questions of sovereignty sow division
2 Getting out of a 50 year union is pretty complicated and unlikely to go well if you are the smaller party. What will it be like for a 300 year old union.

If I were Scottish those 2 things would weigh heavily on my mind next time.
Feb 2020
11:18am, 11 Feb 2020
1,624 posts
  •  
Surelynot
JB -to your second point I would expect any second referendum to be on the basis of a prospectus for independence that was completely lacking in the Brexit referendum.

I'm not suggesting it will be easy to negotiate with what I would expect to be an antagonistic r-UK government but that would at least be something that carries democratic legitimacy.

The job in Scotland for the independence movement is to work across all sections of society to position what an independent Scotland could look like and to provide hard answers to the shrinking number of objections we're seeing from the Unionist side.

Two of the key areas would be future currency and future membership of the EU.
Feb 2020
12:08pm, 11 Feb 2020
15,918 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
SN - A prospectus for Independence, now theres a thought. But wait, that would draw out the issues into the open and we cant be having that ;-)

On a separate note I see the new Forth Road Bridge is closed for a few days due to the unique weather of a westerly wind and sleet/snow and freezing conditions. Despite the fact we see those conditions most winters.
Feb 2020
12:30pm, 11 Feb 2020
1,625 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Has to be that way Bazo.

Bridge closes in winter shocker! Sturgeon must resign.
Feb 2020
1:56pm, 11 Feb 2020
34,138 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
5 people have died across the UK in storm Ciara to be fair Bazo. It's been pretty severe. Closed for 24 hours seems sensible. Trains were running fine and were not overly crowded, so I believe people were able to commute, just not in their cars. :-) G
Feb 2020
2:27pm, 11 Feb 2020
23,038 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think the interesting thing about the way the separation is now shaping up is that the government seem to be positioning us for a Brexit which is quite different to the version many of them touted before the referendum: "frictionless trade and access to the Single Market" now appears to be vanishing into the mist.

Now... is this a question of:

1 We had no idea what we actually meant by Brexit and now the penny has finally dropped the one we want is completely inconsistent with what we told you

or

2 We knew all along that we had to fully detach ourselves from the single market and the customs union but if we'd told you that you would never have voted for us

To be fair, the Maybot did actually say she wanted out of the CU and the SM but she recognised that regulatory alignment would minimise the impact. Johnson and his cronies appear to have abandoned that as well now - I don't recall them saying this in 2016...

But, you know, what the fuck does it matter. The die is cast now and we are quite possibly heading into a rolling shitstorm for a decade or more. What fools we are.

I suppose though, it all does beg the question of how Scotland and England maintain a friction free border if Scotland departs and becomes a member again. It will be one hell of a mess, i dare say, and Scotland won't get any favours from the current crop - who will most likely all be out of office anyway.
Feb 2020
2:30pm, 11 Feb 2020
15,919 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I absolutely agree on the safety aspect. However I understood the design of the bridge was supposed to reduce the chances of closure and in particular windy conditions. The weather in Edinburgh while unpleasant hasn't been all that bad.

SN - I didn't draw a link to SNP/Sturgeon on the bridge........

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.