Politics

4 lurkers | 212 watchers
Feb 2020
8:17pm, 10 Feb 2020
2,611 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
He is playing the long game. Talk big, kick into the long grass and pretend you have big ideas and in 5 years pretend to almost cement those ideas and it becomes part of a fictitious manifesto.
Feb 2020
9:59pm, 10 Feb 2020
23,036 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I doubt the bridge will ever get built, but the man's egotism is so pronounced that there will doubtless be other opportunities for him to waste tax money on the Greater Glorification of Johnson. The Festival of Brexit might be a good start, where we can celebrate stripping away our own freedoms and impoverishing the country in every conceivable sense.
Feb 2020
10:46pm, 10 Feb 2020
8,389 posts
  •  
simbil
Chris, I saw the bbc report on a 3-way split following the close exit poll results, wary of their margin of error and the closeness of the numbers. Today with firmer stats they report Sinn Fein won the popular vote.
To be honest it looks much like the same old beeb bashing when they don’t agree with somebody’s narrative.

If you can point me to some factual mis-reporting I’ll happily concede the point, but I followed the story as it happened and really didn’t see any.
Feb 2020
11:08pm, 10 Feb 2020
15,741 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The votes were over 90% counted last night, when they did that report they were clear. I simply don't buy the caution line. They were reporting Bush won the election against Gore on far lower amounts of announced voting. (Yes I do have a long memory).

And yes, you can say having actors and anonymous figures saying lines isn't strictly misrepresentation, or having on apologists for hate speech (and I actually supported them having Nick Griffin on Question Time, he sank the BNP quicker than any Labour figure could) and no I am not saying the BBC are lying, but quite clearly this latter is an example of presenting the facts in a certain way as to encourage a particular narrative.

Funnily enough I also don't have a problem with Laura Kuennsberg or Nick Robinson or Kamal Ahmed (common bete noires among Corbynites, especially as the latter two are open Tories), I don't think they are bad journalists, I don't mind Marr or Neil - BUT as when engaging with all sources, you must ask yourself what their background is, what their political views may be, and what are their motivations for presenting things in a certain way is (or their editors motivations may be for espousing a line of thought).

IMO, the BBC has been running scared of the Tories for a long time now, and as a result, it is failing to critically engage on key topics, but in doing so, it isn't being enough of a lapdog to appease the Tories, while it's lack of rigour is letting down journalism in general. Switch on Sky and see Kay Burley or Adam Boulton (neither of whom are exactly left wingers) give a far more thorough account, then the BBC journos do.
Feb 2020
11:12pm, 10 Feb 2020
1,622 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Chrisull - the voice-over of Sinn Fein spokespeople was done by all news channels to bypass legislation passed by the Thatcher government to silence them and to deny them 'the oxygen of publicity'. Major may have supported it but it wasn't his government.

BBC and ITV, in my view, were to be applauded for standing up to the government of the day. They need the balls to do it now.

The Brighton hotel bombing by the IRA of the Tory party leadership was, I think, one of the reasons for this reaction.
Feb 2020
7:46am, 11 Feb 2020
13,480 posts
  •  
richmac
Man who failed to build bridge from London to err London, talks of building bridge already pointed out as being impossible by competent people.
Feb 2020
8:27am, 11 Feb 2020
19,153 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Experts, Rich! I think we've all had enough of experts, remember.

A TV clown with a bridge fetish is a far more reliable source of information regarding the feasibility of a 20-odd mile bridge over an unexploded munitions dump than any structural engineer.
Feb 2020
8:49am, 11 Feb 2020
34,133 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Referendum on Irish reunification inevitable says former Irish prime minister (can't spell teaseoich, soz!) - in 5 to 10 years he reckons. :-) G
Feb 2020
8:51am, 11 Feb 2020
34,134 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Bertie Ahern it was. Taoiseach from 1997 to 2008 (ooh my spelling wasn't that far off!)

irishnews.com
Feb 2020
9:02am, 11 Feb 2020
15,916 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I suspect that Irish reunification will be even more complex and divisive than Brexit or scexit.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.