Politics

6 lurkers | 212 watchers
Feb 2020
8:23am, 7 Feb 2020
23,034 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
jda I am also a private citizen and I've talked to at least 22 ambassadors in the last week. Who amongst us has not? I'm sure Ivanka Johnson is in no way using his access to his son as a way to worm his way into the halls of the rich and powerful. Nothing to see here.
Feb 2020
8:36am, 7 Feb 2020
34,104 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
At least Mackay has resigned, which is the right thing to do. Hanging on and denying any wrongdoing seem to be the Westminster norm.

However, I think it's of little importance in terms of party and national politics. Ditto the Salmond case. It's deplorable and very probably criminal personal behaviour. But the only relevance to politics is that it calls into questions their morals and judgement. And maybe in the Salmond case whether the party machinery was adequate to deal with it.

But it's not actually about politics - truth, decision making, economics, policy etc.?

It'll probably shut the SNP up for a bit though. That's réal politik I suppose.

Trump on the other hand is a major, global threat at the moment. He is mad and in power. In charge of one of the world's most dominant powers. I despair! :-) G
Feb 2020
8:40am, 7 Feb 2020
2,000 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Unfortunately the American's don't see Trump the way we do.

My brother was in Lexington, Kentucky a little while ago and they absolutely love him. He's going to walk the re-election.

Any bets on him trying to change the 2-term limit?
Feb 2020
9:05am, 7 Feb 2020
7,049 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Mackay probably says more about politicians, and the tendency of well connected men to exploit their situation for their own benefit than the SNP.
Feb 2020
9:13am, 7 Feb 2020
15,878 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
To her credit I think sturgeon has acted pretty well here although I see she has come in for criticism as she allowed McKay to resign rather than sack him. I think she would have sacked him if he tried to cling on.

I am surprised though that some people see what he did as being acceptable.
Feb 2020
9:15am, 7 Feb 2020
15,730 posts
  •  
Chrisull
At the moment Trump isn't going to walk because ... Michigan. Kentucky etc are always gonna be pro Trump. California is gonna be democrat. In Michigan every single Demo contender is several points ahead of Trump. The dems can afford to lose Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and everywhere else they lose last time, as long as they win Michigan. And like I said, currently, it's the one state that has swung conclusively away from Trump.
Feb 2020
9:19am, 7 Feb 2020
8,386 posts
  •  
simbil
Pothunter, yep but depends where you go. My east coast relatives can’t stand him but despair at the state of the Democrats and would have a tough choice if one of the more left leaning candidates becomes the leader.

Similar to the U.K. election in that respect as the centralists don’t have an obvious way to vote.
J2R
Feb 2020
9:25am, 7 Feb 2020
2,582 posts
  •  
J2R
Exactly, simbil. It's bizarre how similar the political situations of the two countries are, where you have a very, very easy target on the Right, which any half decent candidate from the left of centre could easily beat, and yet the Left somehow contrive to miss their barn-door size target.
Feb 2020
9:35am, 7 Feb 2020
19,146 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Because they're prioritising a policy platform and philosophy over power.

A policy platform and philosophy are neither use nor ornament if you don't get elected to enact them.
Feb 2020
10:04am, 7 Feb 2020
23,035 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Trump would need to amend the constitution to get a 3rd term. That won't happen, although he is so deranged I wouldn't rule out him giving it a go.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.