Politics

8 lurkers | 212 watchers
Jan 2020
11:59am, 31 Jan 2020
44,653 posts
  •  
Diogenes
It'd look lovely with some nice gold stars on it.
Jan 2020
12:07pm, 31 Jan 2020
44,654 posts
  •  
Diogenes
It looks like Spiderman got caught in a web of red tape trying to negotiate a tricky situation, and was left completely flattened by the whole experience.
JR
Jan 2020
12:08pm, 31 Jan 2020
15 posts
  •  
JR
Given the last time Stander made a comment yesterday he was sworn at and insulted I can't say I blame him for making no further comment!
J2R
Jan 2020
12:27pm, 31 Jan 2020
2,561 posts
  •  
J2R
I have to say my heart sank when I read Raemond's comment. The Internet is full of places where you can no longer have a proper discussion because of venomous personal abuse, and Fetcheveryone has always been refreshingly different. Please let's keep it that way! Disagree all you like (and I do disagree with Stander, very strongly), but don't go down the path of name-calling. It achieves nothing.
Jan 2020
12:41pm, 31 Jan 2020
15,705 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Stander - I didn't see them. Roughly how long ago where they and I will attempt to look them up? And no I'm not trying to pick a fight.
Jan 2020
12:45pm, 31 Jan 2020
15,706 posts
  •  
Chrisull
JR - I won't condone Raemond's comment (now removed, and which in any case I didn't see). Generally we are all trying to be civil and nice!

Normally Raemond is a constructive poster, and I was surprised of all people to flip that it was her. There are one or two less patient, but that's life. Normally we're accused of being the snowflakes.

I try and remain civil at all times, occasionally I get cross at some posts, and on trying days bounce a less courteous reply back when a more considered one would have done. I'm sure Raemond was having one of those days!
Jan 2020
12:50pm, 31 Jan 2020
19,110 posts
  •  
DeeGee
In real life, where I live, I'm one remoaner in a sea of Brexiteers.

Trust me, it's a lot less pleasant to be called those self same names, threatened with violence, told to leave the country and accused of treason *in real life* than it is on the tinternet.

I've found, in my experience, in real life, locally, to not get involved in any discussions about Brexit. Sometimes, at work, I'm sat in a meeting when my boss starts on about "arsehole remoaners" working against the country, and I just have to hold my counsel. I *can't* just get up and leave and wait that it all passes over. I certainly can't leave the meeting, then come back in a fake wig and moustache.

I welcome debate, but it certainly hurts when that debate is shut down with name-calling. Sadly, I don't think we're bigger than that here. It's like a pub where we all happen to do some exercise, but we have different opinions and strong views.

However, like in a pub if you don't like what you're hearing, move elsewhere in the pub. I don't tell the pool table crowd that I don't like their "Winner stays on" policy in the hope that they'll change their minds, because I know what they'll call me.

So I don't play pool.

It's an emotive issue, and emotions are going to be high. Ideally, we'd calm it down, but if not, if we don't like it, we don't have to take part in the discussion. It's not like discussing it is going to make any difference anyway. We leave tonight, and I'll spend our first weekend as a mid-Atlantic archipelago (which only gets respect because it has a big, scary friend) in a part of the country that voted to remain.
Jan 2020
1:03pm, 31 Jan 2020
299 posts
  •  
Stander
Chris - the comments start on page 2030.
JDA gives instructions on page 2459 on how to get to that page quickly,
Jan 2020
1:46pm, 31 Jan 2020
2,443 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Well there's that Brexit YouTube video "17 million f*ck offs" . So I guess one or two going the other way is to be expected. Shouldn't be personal though.

Lowest common denominator and all that.

Seriously guys you need to have a word with yourselves. In a forest full of Pooh traps for Heffalumps falling into one is to be expected. Falling into two is careless. Falling into three. Well there's a pattern non?

Personally I'm taking a leaf out of Lord Dudley's book: 'Speak softly and wait for better days"
Jan 2020
1:51pm, 31 Jan 2020
2,444 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
For the uninitiated Lord Dudley was an advisor to the Catholic Queen Mary. He was a Protestant and somehow managed not to get his head lopped off. When asked how he managed it he said "I learned to speak softly and wait for better days"

Allegedly he got to shag Elizabeth the first...

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.