Politics

10 lurkers | 212 watchers
Jan 2020
4:47pm, 27 Jan 2020
273 posts
  •  
Stander
Happy - I didn't say give everyone free money and you will win.

Labour tried that last time - offering everything to everyone and the public were not so gullible as to fall for that one.

That wasn't want what the majority of the public wanted.

Last time, they primarily wanted Brexit. And they voted for the party that actually offered this. Offer what the people want and they vote for you.
Jan 2020
4:48pm, 27 Jan 2020
274 posts
  •  
Stander
A random extra "want" in there, but you guys will work it out!
jda
Jan 2020
4:50pm, 27 Jan 2020
6,221 posts
  •  
jda
Especially as a lot of what govts do is reacting to events. You can only vote for a party that you trust (better than the alternatives!) to follow the sort of pathway that you would like to see, in the case of unforeseen things happening that need a response. Which is why of course Blair and the Iraq war grates so badly for many. It's not what they believed a Labour govt should have been about (especially with the dishonesty that led up to it). Manifesto commitments are only a small fraction of the the process of govt.
Jan 2020
5:20pm, 27 Jan 2020
10,538 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
jda - "Manifesto commitments are only a small fraction of the the process of govt."

Rather like recruiting someone for a job - what you get in the interview isn't necessarily what you end up with in the job. You just have to hope you see enough of the real person in the interview (or party in the manifesto) to get a good idea.

I've given up offering to be on the job interview panels, too. :-(
Jan 2020
5:27pm, 27 Jan 2020
8,364 posts
  •  
simbil
Representative democracy is supposed to be about values - you vote for the person and party that best represents your values. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know the kind of person that shares your values. It is the politicians and their teams that need to be rocket scientists to weave your values into joined up policies.

It's a great system when there are good people to vote for and if people don't game the system too much (populists, I'm looking at you).

Single issue politics be it Brexit, abortion, independence or whatever is not healthy as the politician gets the votes they want based on a very narrow issue regardless of whether voters really share their values.

And our first past the post system is rubbish as you can have a huge victory off a minority of the votes.
Jan 2020
8:34pm, 27 Jan 2020
15,696 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Stander - what Labour wanted WAS pretty popular, although fair to say things like free broadband were not top of most people's lists.

The problem was credibility, and that when the left offers something it is judged to a different set of standards to the Tories. Great thread and YouGov survey here on exactly this. (Also Labour offered far too much - rather than one or two key selling points and sticking to them and people thought they wouldn't deliver).

twitter.com

And before you say... TLDR and not true, I give you exhibit 1) Ed Miliband and the minimum wage vs George Osborne and a bigger raise (AFTER the election). Miliband was crucified for it, Osborne lauded by the same papers.
Jan 2020
8:17am, 28 Jan 2020
19,090 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Can I add nationalisation of railways as an exhibit? Corbyn was slaughtered for it, last week or so Grant Shapps basically called for the nationalisation of the entire local rail network north of Derby and south of Hadrian's Wall.
jda
Jan 2020
8:20am, 28 Jan 2020
6,224 posts
  •  
jda
Yes but that hat.....and the jews
Jan 2020
8:22am, 28 Jan 2020
19,091 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Ah, but he's got out of the 'can't even eat a bacon sandwich decorously' policy by eschewing bacon sandwiches. Not like that Milliband before him.

So long as Rebecca Long Bailey can eat food and wear a hat and glasses in a conventional manner, Labour will be fine.
Jan 2020
8:34am, 28 Jan 2020
19,092 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Just looking at the Wikipedia entry on Grant Shapps. Found out something interesting, at least for me.

I have a theory called the "Kensit Continuum". It's a bit like the "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon", in that everyone, at least in the UK, is but six steps away from Patsy Kensit by work, family or sex.

Grant Shapps' Kensit score is 3. His brother was in Big Audio Dynamite, and his bandmate Dan Donovan was married to Patsy Kensit. This means that anyone who has served in parliament since 2005 has a Kensit score of at least 4.

Then again, my Kensit score is 3 as well.

Have fun working out your own Kensit scores...

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.