•  
J2R
Excellent post, Chris!
Dec 2019
7:00am, 24 Dec 2019
32,077 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thank you. That makes perfect sense and I totally agree. I am also guilty of it and for me it -at least in part - comes from anger and fear. There is a slight, though real, danger that Brexit will lose me my job (am in HE and depend on EU students). It will certainly impact on my life in already obvious, smaller ways.

You are right, though. It's not the way forward.
jda
Dec 2019
7:43am, 24 Dec 2019
6,034 posts
  •  
jda
yougov.co.uk

Sorry if posted earlier...seems to summarise what just about everyone (except for labour leadership and acolytes) is saying about labours troubles
Dec 2019
8:08am, 24 Dec 2019
20,209 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
That poll will get RLB elected as Labour leader on a ‘not Jeremy and Brexit will be history by 2024’ ticket.
Dec 2019
9:21am, 24 Dec 2019
1,979 posts
  •  
Canute
I echo J2R's comment: excellent post Chris.

To me, it resonates with my concerns about 'propaganda'. In my recent posts I have pointed the finger at Cummings. I do consider that he was one of the covert drivers of the mis-information campaign that vilified the EU, exacerbated distrust of Corbyn, and swung the recent election.

But both nationally and internationally there are other malign forces at play that are shaping the current polarised political situation. Once a mis-leading and polarising narrative gains traction it develops its own momentum and is no longer dependent on a 'evil genius' masterminding a campaign.

However I still have faith that other narratives can emerge if inspiring figures appeal to the intrinsic humane values that have allowed our species to develop successful societies. But there is only a thin line separating concern for our kin and neighbours, and the xenophobia that fuels polarisation
Dec 2019
9:52am, 24 Dec 2019
15,645 posts
  •  
Chrisull
There is hope - latest poll for Labour leader among ALL voters:

K. Starmer: 9%
J. Phillips: 8%
Y. Cooper: 6%
L. Nandy: 4%
E. Thornberry: 3%
A. Rayner: 3%
R. Long Bailey: 2%
R. Burgon: 1%
C. Lewis: 1%

via

@BMGResearch
, 17 - 20 Dec

I'd happily back a Keir/Jess joint leader/deputy ticket - to get the moderates coalescing around one choice. If Keir offered Yvette a prominent post (one of the big 4), I think the continuity candidate(s) would struggle against that. In fact it would make sense. Anyone else?
Dec 2019
9:59am, 24 Dec 2019
15,646 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Linds - I know people already who already have folded businesses because of Brexit, and I am fuming, especially when Brexit voters just shrug their shoulders and say it will be better when we're free of the EU. How can being out of a job be better than before? I am *slightly* surprised that the conservatives haven't more made a song and dance of preserving jobs/businesses because it just seems like an obvious achilles heel at the next election.

It can be stated easily. Brexit will lose some people their jobs. The conservative party denying job losses will happen because of Brexit is well, are running against their own figures and documentation and research. Now they don't have to justify Brexit to get it through anymore, what are they going to do? Tack to a more sensible line? Signs so far are nothing. It might not quite be a cliff edge (the danger is saying everything will break will be, when it doesn't then everyone goes ah it was nothing after all), but a ski jump it certainly will be, and you don't end up higher than you were at the end of them...
Dec 2019
10:19am, 24 Dec 2019
158 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
I'm pretty much checking out for the Christmas period, so Merry Christmas everyone.

Even those of you that are wrong. :)

See you all on the other side of it once you've all sobered up. Possibly.
Dec 2019
10:21am, 24 Dec 2019
2,525 posts
  •  
OTannenbaumMike
We can all become nurses. After all, they are apparently going to recruit millions of them according to a neighbour.
Dec 2019
10:28am, 24 Dec 2019
25,095 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
But they are not going to recruit millions they are going to stop some from leavingwho are sick of it, and bring some back who let becuase they are sick of it.

Incidentally the previous posts about good will in the NHS are very true indeed, the crisis is coming soon, senior consultants, they are the ones in the 40s and 40s right now who would go on and each,, pass on their experience etc, etc are currently working on their finances, checking out their pensions, salting their money away and bang, soon they will all go, I Know my partner is doing just that.

That polls about labour leaders gives me no hop at all, nobody actually likes any of them.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.