Politics

4 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
2:58pm, 14 Dec 2019
761 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Listened to a commentator on Radio Scotland today saying denying Indyref2 is great for Johnson.

It plays to his audience that sees the Scots as subsidy junkies, plus they don’t want to break up the UK, & he's also happy to play the hard, firm leader.

For what it’s worth I don’t see Yes winning at this point anyway.
jda
Dec 2019
3:07pm, 14 Dec 2019
5,984 posts
  •  
jda
Personally I don't think there is any point thinking about EU re-entry or even hoping/campaigning for some sort of soft brexit that does as little damage as possible to the UK. With such a large majority, the tories will do what they want, and fully own the consequences, as will those that voted for them. IMO it's now actually a more satisfactory situation in many ways, more clearly compatible with our long-established constitutional principles, that having won in a GE with a very clear plan for the immediate future (albeit one that dumps us in a very unstable and uncertain situation in 2020) and won a large majority, they should go ahead with it. Rather than what we had before, which was a vague and unsatisfactory ref with a wafer-thin majority for a completely unclear plan of action. As for the future negotiation over the "deep relationship" or whatever they choose to call it, not my circus, not my monkey. The penny will drop eventually for some people, and not for others, but it doesn't much matter what people think any more, at least for the next 5 years.

Together with the brexit party, the tories got over 45% of the vote and while that's clearly a minority and all opinion polls point to a stable majority wanting to stay in the EU, we have almost always had minority-vote majority-seat govts in my lifetime and "the people" clearly didn't want to change this when given the choice only a few years ago. So that's the way it goes and there is no point trying any more guerrilla tactics or petitions or whatever. My EU flag will be coming down in Jan and that will be the end of it.

I won't pretend I'm not bitter that my old brexity relatives almost certainly won't live long enough to experience much of the bucket-load of shit they are deliberately tipping onto the heads of those of us who expect to have a few decades left, but on the bright side, the tories winning means that IHT is more likely to be kept low, so, swings and roundabouts...
Dec 2019
3:22pm, 14 Dec 2019
999 posts
  •  
Brighouse Boy
Banjobax - Don't be ridiculous! Your post is a classic case of taking words/facts completely out of context and using them to suit your own view/agenda. I can see why some people find this thread toxic!
Dec 2019
3:57pm, 14 Dec 2019
193 posts
  •  
TommyK
"... and fully own the consequences..."

No, they won't, JDA. They'll blame the EU and that'll play well with their supporters.
jda
Dec 2019
4:03pm, 14 Dec 2019
5,985 posts
  •  
jda
Maybe, but they will find it hard to blame the EU for their shiny trade deal with the USA, or their inability to find 50,000 more nurses, or the forthcoming difficulties in NI, or any number of other things. Anyway, not my problem.
Dec 2019
4:26pm, 14 Dec 2019
10,846 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Keir Starmer is the only man among the top 7 betting favourites to be next labour leader and he is 4/1. Could be an interesting contest
Dec 2019
5:14pm, 14 Dec 2019
4,841 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
I'm sorry if I've upset you at all Brighouse - perhaps I could have framed it better

I do feel the example was valid - it related directly to what you were talking about - Blair's leadership and how he got things done to win elections. In this case by presenting unity, crushing dissent with no scruples or conscience - saying a lot about the man beyond the "one mistake" that seems to be used to gloss over his history
Dec 2019
5:26pm, 14 Dec 2019
8,310 posts
  •  
simbil
Had no recollection of that so looked it up irishtimes.com
Is that a fair account or was he actually beaten up?
Dec 2019
5:50pm, 14 Dec 2019
1,000 posts
  •  
Brighouse Boy
Thanks Banjo - Sorry for being reactive and a bit too quick to react! But that sometimes happened with on-line discussions.
Dec 2019
6:04pm, 14 Dec 2019
3,403 posts
  •  
mr d
https://youtu.be/qdojzc0J8ts

Not their finest moment, the other man being ejected had objected to the elderly activists treatment.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.