Politics

11 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
9:41am, 9 Dec 2019
35,421 posts
  •  
Nellers
It must be hard, though, visiting this thread, arguing that callous, cruel and selfish policies are the way to go and being argued against effectively over and over.

(Not by me. I’m crap at debating like that. There’s some really sharp
Minds for it on here though.)
Dec 2019
9:48am, 9 Dec 2019
11,607 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
I'd expect most internet messageboards to be left of the electorate as a whole. A third of Leave voters in 2016 had *never* used the internet. The median age of Conservative voters in 2017 was 64. As a group, they're far less likely to regularly use the internet than voters for other parties (and more likely to buy a newspaper every day.)
Dec 2019
10:00am, 9 Dec 2019
31,587 posts
  •  
LindsD
Depressing ^
Dec 2019
10:13am, 9 Dec 2019
18 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
The other prevalent thing on this thread seems to be to dismiss opinions of others that disagree with the majority in here as being those of idiots.

As if the left are the only ones with any brains.

It's quit a toxic thread overall but I'm sure keeps many people off of it even if their arguments are perfectly valid.

I'm finding this website to be really helpful in many ways, but this thread not so much.
Dec 2019
10:17am, 9 Dec 2019
22,955 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Perhaps the reason right-leaning posters don't say what they think is because what they think isn't particularly pleasant? Just a thought.
Dec 2019
10:20am, 9 Dec 2019
9,705 posts
  •  
larkim
If you look through the history of political dialogue, I'd find it hard to argue that the weight of intellectual writing, discourse and philosophy is anything other than heavily weighted towards being left wing. As a generalisation, left wing = intellectual credibility.

Not all right wing advocates are idiots. But the ones that aren't are the exception to the rule.
Dec 2019
22,956 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Example: my friend who is "a staunch Tory" thinks foodbanks should be banned because they "create dependency". He also thinks a typical severely disabled person is "a drain on the state". Try posting that online and see what happens.
Dec 2019
3,896 posts
  •  
Raemond
If someone comes in with a coherent and valid argument they are listened to. It's rare, but it has happened.

More often people just make vague or clearly untrue assertions, or claim to have presented coherent and detailed arguments many times that nobody looking back can actually find, then complain about being picked on when slightly challenged.

I'm not sure where you've attempted to make any sort of substantive point, for example, DV. Perhaps it was under another account?
Dec 2019
10:22am, 9 Dec 2019
810 posts
  •  
Roberto
DV, there has also been several quite condescending and demeaning comments from right leaning people regarding left leaners and people who want to remain. Generally this thread is respectful, and posters ask for the evidence regarding statements people make, this tends to be when issues arise as then evidence is often provided that debunks it.
Dec 2019
10:37am, 9 Dec 2019
8,296 posts
  •  
simbil
Some of my American relatives would be horrified if they came in here. They are libertarians and believe in democracy and to them that means that all opinions that are not anti-freedom are valid.
But there is no debate with them, they believe something, you believe something else and they respectfully disagree.
There is no objective truth with them either, just beliefs.
The bottom line is that they have nothing to add to a discussion beyond a statement of their beliefs and so have no interest in political boards.
They might be dismissed as idiots by some people as a result, but they are not - they just have a set of values and an outlook that are a long way off what some people are used to.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.