Politics

7 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
8:08pm, 26 Nov 2019
35,325 posts
  •  
Nellers
It should be phrased differently, j2r. I agree. It apparently hasn’t been though.
Nov 2019
10:14pm, 26 Nov 2019
31,221 posts
  •  
LindsD
SD got hers Friday
Nov 2019
10:33pm, 26 Nov 2019
20,084 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Mine was on the mat when I got home. Tough decision awaits.....
Nov 2019
10:14am, 27 Nov 2019
10,187 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
I'm a bit puzzled by this whole anti-Semitism thing, tbh. I've heard lots of talk about it, but I've not actually heard or seen any alleged examples of it. Lots of smoke, and no sight of the fire.

Not saying it hasn't happened, but at the moment I'm a little fed up of all the commentary in the news, and no actual newsworthy evidence.

Given earlier comments about the Labour party being more efficient at identifying and calling out anti-Semitism than other areas of society, I'd expect there to be a lot of evidence somewhere!
Nov 2019
10:18am, 27 Nov 2019
9,599 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't think the MPs who have stood down over it or the disciplinary cases in the Party that have sanctioned individuals for their behaviour / comments are all figments of imagination Mmm.

Though I do think there are lots of activists who just imagine there is some Illuminati in the media making it all up to smear the divine leader / JC.
um
Nov 2019
10:33am, 27 Nov 2019
1,422 posts
  •  
um
I think it's the perceived lack of action and closure on known cases.
Rather than individuals, looking at the party response or lack of it, ie (from the Guardian)

"Are there 130 cases of antisemitism outstanding in the party?
Labour insists the figure of 130 is inaccurate and says it is “taking robust action” to tackle antisemitism, including quick suspensions, a process for rapid expulsions and an education programme. However, it has not yet provided its own up-to-date figure. The estimate of 130 come from the Jewish Labour Movement, which has been tracking complaints and their resolution."

Until and unless these numbers are reconciled and closed out, it still gives the perception that the leadership isn't taking action or bothered about it and the words are meaningless. With the party's supposedly 'open and transparent' claims, I'm surprised no-one (journalists, media, labour PR) hasn't checked, reconciled and reported the facts?
Nov 2019
10:45am, 27 Nov 2019
15,530 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Meanwhile Corbyn drops a bombshell. Not even a dead cat, but a live squealing one - leaked documents showing some NHS services are on the table in a UK/US trade deal:

news.sky.com

Dragging it away from Brexit (and anti-semitism) and back on to Labour's strong suit. Might not make much of a difference but this is being described already as the "first significant moment" of the election. How will it play? Meh or help push those polls that are vaguely drifting towards Labour (but not enough so).
jda
Nov 2019
10:50am, 27 Nov 2019
5,860 posts
  •  
jda
That's great. I've been thinking for a while that Labour need to really play hard here - no good just mouthing a few vague platitudes about being "for the many", they need to get headlines and initiative. To people who have been paying attention, the NHS thing is obviously a major issue with brexit and USA trade talks, but up to now it feels like the tories have mostly been able to deflect.
Nov 2019
10:58am, 27 Nov 2019
33,418 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think if they just chose 3 sort of sound bite things

- health (here's how there will be happy nurses / doctors, more slots to get you fixed, shorter waiting times);

- transport (first class railways / buses / trams whatevs, subsidised to the hilt like Germany, France, run on time, with space and comfort) and

- either education or benefits or improved minimum for low-wage workers and apprentices.

Just pick a few and hammer, hammer, hammer on at those topics and beat Tories up with it. It should be like shooting fish in a barrel. :-) G
Nov 2019
11:14am, 27 Nov 2019
3,021 posts
  •  
Bob!
Happy G
surely the environment has to be in the top 3.
I'm hopeful that tomorrows debate will have a big effect on the outcome.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.