Politics

3 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
11:36am, 27 Nov 2019
9,264 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
This is quite a good article re: labour's renationalisation of certain things.

Points out the flaws in the current way business is done and points in the direction of solutions.

I have to say this more along the lines of the way I think things should go.

I do, however, feel that certain things (particularly franchised monopolies, e.g. railways and perhaps water) should be nationalised.
Nov 2019
11:36am, 27 Nov 2019
9,265 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Oops. Would help if I link to article: bbc.co.uk
Nov 2019
11:59am, 27 Nov 2019
33,419 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sure Bob, it would be in my top 3. But not sure Labour is strong on it.

What I'm saying (like the Facebook meme that popped up in my timeline, saying voting is getting a bus, not getting married. It doesn't have to be perfect, or even take you exactly where you want. Just in the right direction. And you might need to walk a bit yourself! Which I quite liked!)

Goal - stop Tories (why? Brexit. And cos they are total b*stards.)
How - whith current stupid UK first past the post, you're gonna have to get Labour in lots of English and Welsh seats. A few Plaid Cymru, plus all SNP, a Green and maybe Lib Dems nick some Tory seats, but just as likely to nick Labour, so pick carefully.

So if Labour are key, Labour please understand 21st century sound bite politics and... get some winning sound bites!!

I'm not saying environment and climate crisis isn't important, I'm saying what limited list of winning topics should Labour concentrate on? :-) G
Nov 2019
12:09pm, 27 Nov 2019
18,976 posts
  •  
DeeGee
The environment is certainly important, but it's not important enough to the swing voters that matter.

Think about what "we took back control" of in 2016. That's what the swing voters cared enough about to pull us out of the EU.

Control of our money, to invest in the NHS instead of giving to the EU was their number 1. The NHS should therefore be Labour's number 1.

Unfortunately, taking back control of our environmental legislation in order to strengthen it it above the European minima wasn't one of the things that they spoke about taking back control of. It was waters, the right to overfish our waters. So I'd leave the environment on the back burner for this election.
Nov 2019
12:11pm, 27 Nov 2019
9,602 posts
  •  
larkim
The environment might not swing many, but it might encourage participation from groups that are otherwise less inclined to vote. If all the parties do is try to churn the existing voting population, they miss out on this potential.
J2R
Nov 2019
12:15pm, 27 Nov 2019
2,412 posts
  •  
J2R
HappyG, yes, absolutely! I have been baffled for a long while as to why the opposition parties haven't been really hammering home the idea that the Tories, and Brexit, are going to destroy the NHS. The NHS is one thing which the people of this country care about more than membership of the EU, and if people seriously believed it would be sold off to Trump, that would sway a lot of votes.

Mind you, I'm also cynical and jaded enough to believe that if the Tories said they were going to slash spending on the NHS by 90% but in return give every man, woman and child in the country a cheque for £100, they'd win by a landslide. And in fact, if they said they would give every man, woman and child APART FROM IMMIGRANTS a cheque for £100, they'd win by an even bigger landslide.
Nov 2019
12:41pm, 27 Nov 2019
15,532 posts
  •  
Chrisull
On the environment Labour rank level with the Greens in terms of environmental legislation backed in the Commons (Lib Dems a distant 3rd). Haven't got the link, but I remember SNP weren't included in those rankings - but they also have a strong record. It does depend on the individual mp:

theguardian.com

The manifestos also show Labour probably the greenest (including the Greens) of all in the proposals (again no SNP):

theguardian.com

Main questions for Labour are on deliverability.
jda
Nov 2019
1:25pm, 27 Nov 2019
5,862 posts
  •  
jda
politics.co.uk

A well-written article, the implications and application of which go well beyond the anti-semitism issue that it uses as the main example.
jda
Nov 2019
1:33pm, 27 Nov 2019
5,863 posts
  •  
jda
Chrisull, that seems an odd interpretation of what was actually written in the Guardian. One of the two analysts actually said "The manifesto is the strongest of the main parties in the extent to which environmental issues, and the contribution to health and wellbeing, permeates the whole document."

Only problem is, they weren't referring to the Labour manifesto...

Anyone interested in discovering which party this applies to, will have to click the link!
Nov 2019
1:46pm, 27 Nov 2019
2,387 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
£100? As much as that?

My experience is that despite what they might say most people don't give a tuppenny toss about the NHS until they suddenly need it...

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.