Politics

11 lurkers | 212 watchers
SPR
Nov 2019
8:25pm, 24 Nov 2019
29,684 posts
  •  
SPR
Lol, people said the fallout from austerity. It's always another fallout.
Nov 2019
8:27pm, 24 Nov 2019
1,047 posts
  •  
mushroom
Now you are just frightening me J2R..!

I don't personally like some of Corbyn's ideas but it's likely he would rule in a coalition, so I believe that there would be some moderates in Labour / SNP / LD that would tone the policies down - but we wouldn't have those 'safeguards' with a Tory majority - especially after BoJo recently kicked out a lot of the moderates, many of which aren't sitting again.
Nov 2019
8:44pm, 24 Nov 2019
8,281 posts
  •  
simbil
J2R, there are plenty of people that wouldn’t let it go anything like that far. A modern country can’t function without a decent civil service, army, police etc - people won’t just roll over when 30-40% of the population vote Tory and put a clown in charge. And that’s why they wouldn’t even attempt such a thing even if they wanted to (which is doubtful).
J2R
Nov 2019
8:44pm, 24 Nov 2019
2,407 posts
  •  
J2R
I do seriously think we're facing something the like of which we haven't seen before, way worse than anything which occurred during the Thatcher years. Apart from the Alt Right ideology which has taken hold, there is the simple matter that Johnson's front bench is largely utterly incompetent, promoted way above their natural level purely on the basis that they were gung-ho about a No Deal Brexit. The combination of fanaticism and stupidity is a frightening one. OK, he may well have a reshuffle after the election, but where is he going to get sensible, competent people from? They're all being forced out.
Nov 2019
9:03pm, 24 Nov 2019
8,282 posts
  •  
simbil
It's not completely implausible and is understandably worrying, but I don't think there is a direction of travel here, but instead a temporary tactical alignment.

BoJo has swung to the right to take the wind out of the sails of the Brexit Party.

Once in power, he could pivot and we would see the more moderate BoJo that was the mayor of London.

Seems more likely than a continuing march to the right and the decline in popular support that that would incur and then the necessary side lining of democracy to stay in power.
Nov 2019
9:12pm, 24 Nov 2019
36,046 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
BJ and his chums are depending if you believe it or not responsible for the death of well over 100,000 with their decade of austerity. Let’s hope he does a very big pivot after he (inevitably) gets into power
Nov 2019
9:17pm, 24 Nov 2019
2,385 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I don't think that Boris is particularly master of his own ship.

I certainly fear an authoritarian post truth post science type future. The driving forces behind that are gathering pace.

Saying people won't roll over isn't enough. If the alternative is no work or worse then people will knuckle under. History gives us plenty of examples.

I've always seen this as social democracy's best last chance. Beyond Dec 12th all bets are off. It's a long road back...
J2R
Nov 2019
9:27pm, 24 Nov 2019
2,408 posts
  •  
J2R
I agree with Fellrunning here. It's not Boris Johnson's Conservative Party, or perhaps rather Conservative movement. That has been taken over by the hard Right, and he is just a useful populist figurehead, occupying pretty much the same role as Trump in the States. If he doesn't do their bidding, they will find someone else who will.

Sadly, one major difference between Britain and the States is that they actually have long-standing constitutional apparatus in place there to prevent tyranny by the executive, which is what is limiting Trump. We have no such apparatus in place here, relying on convention and the presumption of honour by the government, which Cummings has basically just been laughing at.
Nov 2019
10:13pm, 24 Nov 2019
15,524 posts
  •  
Chrisull
JDA - Disaster reboot fantasy? Excuse is there remotely another option available here? Please fucking enlighten us. We lose and we give up? That's the only other we have.
Nov 2019
10:16pm, 24 Nov 2019
15,525 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Labour have lost. The Lib Dems have lost. The Greens have lost.

I will go and vote against this shitshow and tell everyone else I know to, in fact my family will probably go en masse for what ever option is likely to defeat this shitshow in this constituency.

BUT. It. will. not. make. any. difference.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.