parkrun Café

15 lurkers | 123 watchers
20 Aug
3:54pm, 20 Aug 2024
20,406 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Ally-C wrote:My plan was to do that a few times this Summer. Haven’t been fit enough yet though.
I'm doing it while unfit so I have an excuse to walk up the steep bits!
20 Aug
4:14pm, 20 Aug 2024
2,927 posts
  •  
AndyS
57.5 Degrees of Pain wrote:I'm doing it while unfit so I have an excuse to walk up the steep bits!

I used a similar excuse (a couple of months post-meniscectomy = deconditioned AND a dodgy knee) to walk at Whinlatter "Even the flat bit* is steep" Forest. Really glad I did - meant I had time to enjoy the incredible views!

I'd not heard of Faskally Forest until you mentioned it here - looks like one I need to add to my list!

*Yes, there is a flat bit at Whinlatter. About 200m of it...
20 Aug
4:28pm, 20 Aug 2024
20,407 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Faskally Forest has a nice flat bit around a beautiful wee loch which you do three times, while you contemplate the steep hill away from the loch. Plus a steep uphill start.

Fabulous setting though, well worth a walk or run afterwards to look around the woods. Even better to arrive on foot from Pitlochry if you have the energy.
20 Aug
7:22pm, 20 Aug 2024
27,268 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It is possible at portobello I guess if on lap three either the finishers dont stay left or those entering laps 1 or two dont keep right. Not an exact scenario, but even the keeping left can mean cutting across someone who is heading right
20 Aug
10:58pm, 20 Aug 2024
4,463 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Has anybody done Shrewsbury ? Were in Shropshire for bank holiday weekend so that’s on our plan
21 Aug
4:29am, 21 Aug 2024
3,622 posts
  •  
No.12
Shrewsbury is a busy but very pleasant run by the river. It's well established and popular so expect around 600 runners
21 Aug
9:48am, 21 Aug 2024
4,464 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
@No.12 would you think Ludlow is better plan ? I can’t decide between the 2
21 Aug
9:55am, 21 Aug 2024
6,200 posts
  •  
Ally-C
57.5 Degrees of Pain wrote:Faskally Forest has a nice flat bit around a beautiful wee loch which you do three times, while you contemplate the steep hill away from the loch. Plus a steep uphill start. Fabulous setting though, well worth a walk or run afterwards to look around the woods. Even better to arrive on foot from Pitlochry if you have the energy.

The flat bit isnae very long tbf.

21 Aug
10:17am, 21 Aug 2024
21,661 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
DeeGee wrote:We've got an out and back at Cleethorpes, which we run twice, but the course I'm looking at has a couple of bridges which I don't think can tolerate two way traffic.
I have a vague recollection that Castle Park in Bishops Stortford has something similar - a very short section of path or bridge which runners go across in both directions and there's only space for one, so there is a chance you might have to wait a second or two. But I may be mis-remembering.
21 Aug
11:31am, 21 Aug 2024
4,874 posts
  •  
StuH
Also at Victorious festival this weekend, staying in Southsea. I notice the start/finish of Southsea has now been moved to the far east end of the promenade and looks a bit of a trek. I may give Great Salterns a try.

About This Thread

Maintained by Groundhog
Fancy a light-hearted chat about your parkrun stories? First run, favourite parkrun, most beautiful parkrun, hardest course, craziest marshal, parkrun tourist on tour (i.e. how to get to Poland), parkrun family photos? Post them here.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.