•  
IdristheDragon
Wow that must have been incredible @Curly45
7 Aug
12:30am, 7 Aug 2024
20,115 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
What happened to the head guards we saw in amateur boxing for a long time?
7 Aug
7:05am, 7 Aug 2024
28,192 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Found to increase concussions - probably combination of larger target and the ‘give’ actually increasing the amount the brain swooshes around in the skull when a blow lands.
7 Aug
7:19am, 7 Aug 2024
20,120 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
TROSaracen wrote:Found to increase concussions - probably combination of larger target and the ‘give’ actually increasing the amount the brain swooshes around in the skull when a blow lands.
That had completely passed me by, but it makes sense.
7 Aug
9:06am, 7 Aug 2024
2,619 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Concussions have been found to be strongly correlated with rotation of the head (around the spinal axis) and only weakly correlated with linear movements.

It's why cycle helmets typically now come with systems like MIPS/WaveCell that allows the inner and outer to move independently. Older designs without such compliance, by increasing the potential moment arm, may actually increase the likelihood of concussion relative to a bare head. I expect it will be similar with head guards.

There are some interesting presentations and papers out there on modelling concussion if it interests you.
7 Aug
9:14am, 7 Aug 2024
37,246 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I ran with Paula Fudge (and Gobi) and beat them both 😜🤣
7 Aug
9:15am, 7 Aug 2024
37,247 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I think if you had said to Josh before the race you will run a PB and NR and beat Ingerbritsen that should be followed by and you win gold.
7 Aug
9:16am, 7 Aug 2024
10,582 posts
  •  
GordonG
i think i'm right in saying that there's a suggestion that the same is true for boxing gloves. Bare knuckle fighting (not that I'm endorsing it!) may lead to fewer long term injuries because you can't punch as hard without hurting your own hand, and those fights are often over quicker (due to the amount of blood!)
7 Aug
9:24am, 7 Aug 2024
2,620 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Apparently MMA was instrumental in a lot of the early research into understanding concussion in impact sport. At a conference I attended a few years ago, a presenter suggested older sports like rugby were very slow to even countenance helping the research (possibly due to what they may find!). MMA were very willing to stick sensors all over their competitors!
7 Aug
9:29am, 7 Aug 2024
19,865 posts
  •  
NDWDave
MudMeanderer wrote:Apparently MMA was instrumental in a lot of the early research into understanding concussion in impact sport. At a conference I attended a few years ago, a presenter suggested older sports like rugby were very slow to even countenance helping the research (possibly due to what they may find!). MMA were very willing to stick sensors all over their competitors!

I followed the NFL concussion research but was surprised nothing had come out in rugby at the same stage

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).