•  
Ness
Brilliant!
30 Jul
9:31pm, 30 Jul 2024
10,565 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Very nervy win in the tennis - could have gone either way.
30 Jul
9:32pm, 30 Jul 2024
15,103 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Can't believe Murray and Evans live on to fight another day :-) Fantastic!
30 Jul
9:32pm, 30 Jul 2024
56,404 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Also had swimming and tennis one eye in each!
30 Jul
9:38pm, 30 Jul 2024
69,067 posts
  •  
LindsD
bunting
30 Jul
9:38pm, 30 Jul 2024
24,886 posts
  •  
Meglet
I agree Fozzy, some people might think tennis shouldn’t be an Olympic sport, but when you see what it means to these players, especially those who already have multiple titles, it is a big deal. Ditto Justin Rose who won the first golf gold. Also Tom Pidcock yesterday, you could see how much it meant to him, I was really touched by it.
30 Jul
9:51pm, 30 Jul 2024
22,805 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I don't think anyone would begrudge a marginalised sport like MTB being in the Olympics - that title is clearly the biggest thing in that area of the sport.

Is the Olympic Road race held to the same regard? Maybe - but certainly not by all pro cyclists - think if you asked some if they rather be Olympic champ or TdF winner, they'd answer the latter.

Similarly for Tennis - does it mean as much as the major tournaments? For some players, yes, others, no. Clearly for Andy Murray, it's always been a big thing - winning London 2012 was really big for him and kicked him on to major wins.

But Golf is even more of a mixed picture given its US dominance in terms of players.

And that's where the controversy lies - especially when sports are included that don't *really* need it (although the IOC needs the money they bring to the Olympics - which is why, in part, they are in) - and others are included for controversial reasons and then others are excluded because they aren't popular enough - in part because they aren't Olympic sports.

It's a complicated picture and a highly political one.
30 Jul
9:54pm, 30 Jul 2024
22,806 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
But the absolute joy Murray and Evans showed after both of their wins so far shows how much it really means to them to try and win a medal.
30 Jul
9:58pm, 30 Jul 2024
24,887 posts
  •  
Meglet
I don’t really mind what they put in the Olympics, I love it all! (Maybe not the wrestling but if there was a Brit I’m sure I’d still get involved!)
30 Jul
10:01pm, 30 Jul 2024
24,888 posts
  •  
Meglet
Really don’t understand my OH who has zero interest in sport, apart from road racing and mtb, he’s not even into track cycling. He suffers me talking about medals and Olympians but I’m sure it’s just in one ear and out the other! As for tennis, when I said ‘hold on, it’s set point’ he merely knew it was important but had no idea what it meant 🤦🏻‍♀️

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).