Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
30 Jul
11:35am, 30 Jul 2024
22,791 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
GordonG wrote:Windsurfing in tahiti delayed due to adverse weather. I guess there are worse places to have to be waiting for something!

Windsurfing (and the rest of the sailing) is in Marseille.

It's just the surfing (why? just why?) in Tahiti.
30 Jul
11:38am, 30 Jul 2024
22,792 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
richmac wrote:If only they had massive lake set out with grandstands and pontoons and facilities just down the road they could sub in at short notice - Oh wait

I believe the 10km swims are going to be moved there.

Issue with the triathlon is the international ones are all built around the transition area. Might not be straightforward to move.

There's also probably a whole series of technical things that would prevent it too.

If they'd had a week or two, it's probably doable. But almost certainly not in a couple of days.

The relay is going to be pretty dull as a duathlon.
30 Jul
11:43am, 30 Jul 2024
10,517 posts
  •  
GordonG
rf_fozzy wrote:GordonG wrote:Windsurfing in tahiti delayed due to adverse weather. I guess there are worse places to have to be waiting for something! Windsurfing (and the rest of the sailing) is in Marseille. It's just the surfing (why? just why?) in Tahiti.

Sorry, I clearly had too much wind there!
30 Jul
12:05pm, 30 Jul 2024
28,706 posts
  •  
richmac
rf_fozzy wrote:richmac wrote:If only they had massive lake set out with grandstands and pontoons and facilities just down the road they could sub in at short notice - Oh wait I believe the 10km swims are going to be moved there. Issue with the triathlon is the international ones are all built around the transition area. Might not be straightforward to move. There's also probably a whole series of technical things that would prevent it too. If they'd had a week or two, it's probably doable. But almost certainly not in a couple of days. The relay is going to be pretty dull as a duathlon.

Point is they should *always * have a had a plan B
30 Jul
12:19pm, 30 Jul 2024
56,371 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Or plan a should never have been the Seine!
jda
30 Jul
12:22pm, 30 Jul 2024
17,549 posts
  •  
jda
Well it depends how unexpected and extreme the rainfall was. If they've been checking the river regularly and it's been consistently well below the danger threshold for a good while, maybe they were just unlucky. The recent rainfall has been very extreme and you can't really have a plan B for everything that could theoretically go wrong. Well, in fact they do already have a plan B and C, being firstly postponement and then running it as a duathlon.

But maybe it was always touch and go and they were just crossing their fingers and hoping.
30 Jul
12:23pm, 30 Jul 2024
22,795 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The Seine was always risky. But not a lot can be done at this stage if no alternative.
jda
30 Jul
12:26pm, 30 Jul 2024
17,550 posts
  •  
jda
A quick google (fancy that!) finds that swimming was safe through 90% of the summer in the relevant area even two years ago, and there's been upgrades since then. So it doesn't seem such a stupid thing to have planned.

paris.fr
30 Jul
12:30pm, 30 Jul 2024
5,995 posts
  •  
paulcook
Think Pixie is spot on. It seems they've been wrongly hellbent on having the swim in the Seine when it's been well documented the potential problems. Insane - sorry!

Though a plan B would have at least seemed logical too.
30 Jul
1:01pm, 30 Jul 2024
56,373 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
British triathlon say there is about a 60% chance of tomorrow’s races happening apparently

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).