Olympics Paris 2024

7 lurkers | 46 watchers
12 Aug
11:44am, 12 Aug 2024
15,250 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I think it's fine if they alternate the Men's and Women's marathon being the last event from now on. It's been the default to have a men's event as the final event up until recently at most athletic meets, let's change it up so it's 50/50 :-)

It's horrible to have to go back to normal TV after the last 2 weeks...
SPR
12 Aug
11:47am, 12 Aug 2024
45,672 posts
  •  
SPR
TBH I'm fine with women holding that position for a few years. This is the first Olympics with 50/ 50 split in terms of women/ men.
12 Aug
1:17pm, 12 Aug 2024
3,865 posts
  •  
Big_G
I think the marathon route had significance to women as well.

“The historic event recognised with the Olympic marathon route is a key moment from the French Revolution: the Women’s March on Versailles, on 5 October 1789.

On 5 and 6 October 1789, market women, shopkeepers and workers from the popular quarters gathered in front of the Hôtel de Ville in Paris to demand bread and arms. Between 6,000 and 7,000 Parisian women, joined by men, marched through Paris to Versailles to bring the King back to the Tuileries. That day, Louis XVI finally agreed to ratify the Universal Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizens”.

olympics.com
12 Aug
5:40pm, 12 Aug 2024
49 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Yeah, don't know what to do with myself now. I'm rather sad the next few Olympics will be hard to watch due to their time zones. I'm not good at staying up late any more. Unfortunately I'm 57 now so I'll be ancient by the time the next European one happens.
Least we have the Paras to look forward to in a couple of weeks.
12 Aug
5:45pm, 12 Aug 2024
56,839 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
@Cal Jones you have 4 years to plot retirement so you can watch LA!
12 Aug
5:47pm, 12 Aug 2024
6,179 posts
  •  
paulcook
Cal Jones wrote:I'm rather sad the next few Olympics will be hard to watch due to their time zones.

Haha. I'm potentially delighted. With the vaguaries of BBC's rights and being at work, I feel I barely saw any of the Olympics. Mostly swimming, some gymnastics and athletics; and one or two events otherwise.

LA will probably suit my (current) routine / body clock. Not as certain about Brisbane.
12 Aug
5:52pm, 12 Aug 2024
4,772 posts
  •  
Curly45
Just got an email today about Toyko World champs 2025 if anyone is interested in that sort of gig. Resale tickets go on sale on 15th I believe.
12 Aug
5:52pm, 12 Aug 2024
4,773 posts
  •  
Curly45
Presale*
12 Aug
6:43pm, 12 Aug 2024
6,180 posts
  •  
paulcook
EvilPixie wrote:Given they had to drop the bar to get a winner in the high jump I bet the American is regretting nit sharing the gold when offered

Apparently neither wanted to share it. When we saw it live originally, it looked like the NZ athlete Hamish Kerr would have been happy to share. The story is they both wanted a jump off though.
um
12 Aug
7:00pm, 12 Aug 2024
8,777 posts
  •  
um
Rumours of a trimmed down 2028 Glasgow Commonwealth Games ....

And the paralympics in a couple of weeks. I think it will be multi streams of Ch4/All4 rather than the 2 streams BBC got.
Except I'll be there watching the key events ;-)

On the high jump gold - why would anyone turn down a gold just 'because it's shared' ?
I can't get my head round that.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).