Olympics Paris 2024

5 lurkers | 46 watchers
12 Aug
7:07pm, 12 Aug 2024
4,384 posts
  •  
Cheg
It’s a fault of high jump and the pole a vault. The fixed height events. You get to a point where it’s clear that they are as good as each other. But you can’t differentiate.

The long jumps, and throws you just take the second best effort.

On occasion in swimming or running you can get a dead heat and the medal is shared but that is rare and you aren’t going to do a run off.

I’d like them to fix the protocol. I’d be in favour of sharing being the default. It’s far from ideal but it beats losing gold because you fail at a height you previously cleared.

In terms of not wanting to share, it’s a little ego, a little about not having earned it. There have been examples of three jumpers getting bronze, which again doesn’t feel right.
SPR
12 Aug
7:15pm, 12 Aug 2024
45,674 posts
  •  
SPR
In high jump failures at other heights would come into it but their cards were identical. AIUI it was impossible for the same to happen with Barshim as he came in at a higher height.
um
12 Aug
7:15pm, 12 Aug 2024
8,778 posts
  •  
um
Those Glasgow Commies - 2026 not 2028!
12 Aug
7:17pm, 12 Aug 2024
42,976 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Is Glasgow confirmed? Hoping to attend as much as possible.
12 Aug
7:18pm, 12 Aug 2024
42,977 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
World's at Tokyo would be good but we don't have the budget for that sadly.
SPR
12 Aug
7:19pm, 12 Aug 2024
45,675 posts
  •  
SPR
SPR wrote:In high jump failures at other heights would come into it but their cards were identical. AIUI it was impossible for the same to happen with Barshim as he came in at a higher height.

Cards weren't quite identical. Kerr had two failures at 2.31. McEwen had two at 2.34.
um
12 Aug
7:20pm, 12 Aug 2024
8,779 posts
  •  
um
Not confirmed, but there's been a flurry of rumours / trailers in the past 24 hours, eg scotsman.com
SPR
12 Aug
7:22pm, 12 Aug 2024
45,676 posts
  •  
SPR
They're struggling to get anyone to host the Commonwealth games so if Glasgow actually want it, they'll have it.
12 Aug
7:27pm, 12 Aug 2024
6,181 posts
  •  
paulcook
If it does happen, I suspect the main debate will be what and how many sports are part of the games. I guess it could be a scaled back event. When I looked at the time of Victoria pulling out, I think only athletics and swimming are the only mandated sports.
SPR
12 Aug
7:32pm, 12 Aug 2024
45,677 posts
  •  
SPR
SPR wrote:AIUI it was impossible for the same to happen with Barshim as he came in at a higher height.

A bit of reading says Barshim coming in later has no effect as it number of failures only.

It's interesting that Barshim went to 2.38 after two failures at 2:36. If he'd stayed at 2:36 and gone clear he'd have been equal first with three more attempts at 2.38 to win, could have also been a three way tie!

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).