Olympics Paris 2024

6 lurkers | 46 watchers
12 Aug
8:06pm, 12 Aug 2024
3,867 posts
  •  
Big_G
Am I right in saying it’s up to the high jump athletes if they want to share the top spot, or go on? That’s what happened in Tokyo isn’t it? If so, I find it surprising it’s up the athletes to make the decision.
SPR
12 Aug
8:08pm, 12 Aug 2024
45,678 posts
  •  
SPR
Yes, up to the athletes. I don't really think they should be forced to continue jumping TBH so happy with it being up to them.
Jef
12 Aug
8:10pm, 12 Aug 2024
14,471 posts
  •  
Jef
“. In 2009, though, a new rule was introduced where the jump off was made optional, which meant that athletes could share the top spot if it was mutually agreed upon. “
jda
12 Aug
8:15pm, 12 Aug 2024
17,634 posts
  •  
jda
I believe there have been cases where results are shared for first over the line, where the photo finish could not distinguish. They don’t make the athletes go again to decide a winner. I don’t see a problem with a draw when that’s the result achieved. In some ways the count back is already an artificial and arbitrary discriminant.
SPR
12 Aug
8:18pm, 12 Aug 2024
45,680 posts
  •  
SPR
Yes, if the result can't be determined to .000 then it's a tie. It happened in terms of qualifying in the Olympics in one event I'm sure but I can't remember it happening in a final but it would be a tie in those cases.
12 Aug
8:23pm, 12 Aug 2024
27,207 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I was sure Alan wells was involved in a tie. I thought it might have been the 1980 olympics, but it was commonwealth games two years later.

speedendurance.com
12 Aug
9:45pm, 12 Aug 2024
4,386 posts
  •  
Cheg
en.m.wikipedia.org

It happens a lot in the high jump.

It did happen in the women’s 100m in 2000. With Marion Jones DQ there was a tie for silver.
12 Aug
9:49pm, 12 Aug 2024
6,183 posts
  •  
paulcook
1912 was a weird year.

Ties in both pentathlon and decathlon, with two golds but unlike previous examples, medals for both silver and bronze awarded.
But on the flip side, no gold awarded in one of the wrestling categories as there was a tie and they were both awarded silver instead!!
12 Aug
9:50pm, 12 Aug 2024
6,184 posts
  •  
paulcook
In fact the final lasted 9 hours and neither man could beat the other.
12 Aug
10:07pm, 12 Aug 2024
3,868 posts
  •  
Big_G
In those examples on the track though, that is presumably in the rules. In the high jump it’s the athletes that make the decision and I’d be happier if it was taken out of their hands.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).