Olympics Paris 2024

4 lurkers | 46 watchers
10 Aug
9:01pm, 10 Aug 2024
24,937 posts
  •  
Meglet
The bell is going to Notre Dame after the Olympics. Apparently they cast it with the rest of the bells following the fire, but in France, not Loughborough
10 Aug
9:05pm, 10 Aug 2024
21,601 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
paulcook wrote:They will if they finish one gold behind China in the overall table.
American media seems to avoid that problem by ranking by total medals rather than numbers of golds :-)

E.g nbcolympics.com
10 Aug
9:26pm, 10 Aug 2024
6,162 posts
  •  
paulcook
That’s a good point mind.
10 Aug
10:48pm, 10 Aug 2024
15,234 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I find it really funny that the US and China are so caught up in beating each other. Meanwhile smaller countries are excited about getting even one medal. I suppose it's all relative :-)
10 Aug
11:14pm, 10 Aug 2024
6,164 posts
  •  
paulcook
The East Germans had an entire state sponsored doping programme just to gain some kind of international recognition behind the Iron Curtain and beat on their neighbours the other side of the Berlin Wall. Just seems entire alien to me - catching only one games where they were a separate nation - that East Germany did so "well" compared to the medal tally a unified Germany gets and ever has.
SPR
10 Aug
11:30pm, 10 Aug 2024
45,650 posts
  •  
SPR
SPR wrote:Just watched the 81kg women's weightlifting and Solfrid Elia Amena Koanda won with her 2nd clean & jerk but it wasn't certain at the time. She came out to do her 3rd lift which would have been a C&J WR and OR for total but failed. After initial frustration took it well and walked off happy, then was told she won, and pandemonium ensued. Also weightlifting medals are handed out straight after so she still hadn't really taken it in when she got her medal. Great scenes.

instagram.com
11 Aug
9:05am, 11 Aug 2024
9,300 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Going back to things anyone could train for and make the Olympics - if you haven’t seen the clips of the Australian lady breakdancing do yourself a favour and search for them. I think it gives hope to all of us! As someone on X said: “apparently after a bottle of wine I could be an Olympian!” :-)
11 Aug
9:25am, 11 Aug 2024
47 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Wow what a finish to the marathon. Amazing feat from Hassan.
11 Aug
9:25am, 11 Aug 2024
8,690 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
Wow just amazing!
11 Aug
9:30am, 11 Aug 2024
15,235 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Epic! :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).