Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

3 lurkers | 169 watchers
18 Aug
10:56am, 18 Aug 2024
43,044 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Well, I am Northamptonshire and am guilty of not finishing projects, I have fabric I bought back from India more than 20 years ago, but to be fair I haven't started that particular project yet, I do have cross stitch from the early 90s on the go 😂
18 Aug
10:58am, 18 Aug 2024
70,453 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
[Looks guiltily at bags containing WIPs, WOOPs and UFOs, though none of them more than five years old.]
18 Aug
11:07am, 18 Aug 2024
24,963 posts
  •  
Meglet
I started a cross stitch the week my daughter was born in 1999. She’s now adopted it and is aiming to finish it. Progress is slow but not as slow as I was!
18 Aug
11:13am, 18 Aug 2024
982 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
Was about to claim all WIPs were younger than 23 years, then remembered that I did shift one from nz to Scotland (Feb 2002) and it is still in bags in the shed.....
18 Aug
1:16pm, 18 Aug 2024
49,720 posts
  •  
DocM
My daughter finished some of my mum's WIP pieces. She died before my daughter was born. My parents (and me) are from Northamptonshire
24 Aug
2:12pm, 24 Aug 2024
57,135 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Anyone done a virus shawl?
25 Aug
6:16pm, 25 Aug 2024
2,813 posts
  •  
Jen HB
A yarn bombed bike from holiday

A statue has been given a hat!
31 Aug
9:42am, 31 Aug 2024
57,300 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Question for the clever knitters
I’ve made this too twice (Hadi tee)

I like it and was thinking of doing another but wondered about how to make the sleeves longer?

ATM it’s a few rows added by picking up stitches on the arm hole, the body itself, and neck line really, has no shaping hence really easy!

I know I could mark the arms a bit longer to, say, tee shirt length, just by doing more rounds. But if I wanted to do a full arm I assume it should really be tapered. Is there a clever formula to do this?

Ta
31 Aug
1:40pm, 31 Aug 2024
3,846 posts
  •  
panad
EP it’s knit top-down, in the round then? My first suggestion would be - if you have another jumper that you like the taper of - to use another pattern as a guide for rate and extent of decreasing. Otherwise I’d measure around the point in my arm/wrist that i wanted to finish at, and the length between where the pattern stopped and where I wanted it to finish. Take off any length of rib you might want for a cuff and using the tension you’re knitting at workout how many stitches you need to reduce by and reduce them evenly over the length - you’d probably want a few more straight rounds between decreases above the elbow, then reduce slightly quicker between the elbow and the wrist.

I’m not sure if that makes any sense reading it, say if not and I’ll try and explain myself better!
31 Aug
2:58pm, 31 Aug 2024
57,308 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
It's supposed to be 2 parts but both times I've done it in the round bottom up
Body makes 1 piece
Then pick up stitches for the sleeves
Only top I've made

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557