Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Aug 2020
3:02pm, 6 Aug 2020
21,157 posts
  •  
Meglet
I made a tweak to my face mask pattern and made a few more last night, and have perfected adding a casing for removable pipe cleaner/metal strip and the elastic. Made three in total but have cut out fabric for more.

My new favourite gadget is my bias binding maker. Brilliant for the casing!
Aug 2020
3:09pm, 6 Aug 2020
6,807 posts
  •  
sallykate
I use a rainbow grosgrain ribbon for the casing - just makes me smile. I used pipe cleaners for my first batch; the kittens kept stealing them and we now have lots and lots of pipe cleaner kitten toys around the flat.

A friend suggested I add pleated masks to the shop as well. Initially I thought about making the ones with a slit to add a filter, but isn't that a bit useless without the filter - there would essentially be a big hole in one of the layers of the fabric? I could probably adjust the pattern so that the fabric of the opening overlaps but I'd have thought it's still not as good as solid material.
Aug 2020
3:29pm, 6 Aug 2020
27,049 posts
  •  
HellsBells
If your 3 layers include non-woven interfacing, isn’t that an inbuilt filter rendering a pocket obsolete?
Aug 2020
3:34pm, 6 Aug 2020
21,158 posts
  •  
Meglet
I’m not sure a filter is necessary. Maybe for peace of mind.
Aug 2020
3:41pm, 6 Aug 2020
6,808 posts
  •  
sallykate
Yes HB, that's probably what I'll do. I'm not sure whether I'll offer them or not; my husband has a face which is a bit difficult to fit so maybe I'll use him as a guinea pig to test whether I really want to do two designs.
Aug 2020
4:38pm, 6 Aug 2020
2,489 posts
  •  
Drell
I hadn't thought of using interfacing. Do you count it as 1 of the three layers? And does it make the mask less comfortable because of the stiffness?
Aug 2020
4:38pm, 6 Aug 2020
2,490 posts
  •  
Drell
I hadn't come across bias binding makers before. Now have an itchy "buy it now" finger :-)
Aug 2020
4:42pm, 6 Aug 2020
27,050 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Drell, I offer 2 or 3 layers with the 3rd layer being interfacing. They are a bit thicker and I prefer them without, but they’re outselling the 2 layer ones by 3:1
Aug 2020
4:43pm, 6 Aug 2020
27,051 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I’m using bought ready made bias binding - I’m not prepared to spend the extra time making it and won’t use it for anything else that I can think of
Aug 2020
5:25pm, 6 Aug 2020
6,809 posts
  •  
sallykate
I don't find it less comfortable but I am using quite floppy interfacing for most of them (medium weight). I did make a few with stiffer interfacing because that's all I had and it was fine.

Somewhere I read that the interfacing shouldn't be iron-on but it didn't say why.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557