Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Jun 2020
9:19am, 9 Jun 2020
38,096 posts
  •  
Purps
Well done Lizzie :) A knitting needle (if you have one) is good for corners. I just used my hand in it to flatten it out. Re pressing the seam allowance, I never have, there are markings on te base plate under the needle and if you line the fabric up with the one that corresponds to your seam allowance and keep guiding it through with the fabric lined up it should be fairly equal all the way.
Jun 2020
10:04am, 9 Jun 2020
23,225 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Thanks, I'll have a go on the next one...
Jun 2020
10:30am, 9 Jun 2020
21,080 posts
  •  
Meglet
Also don't forget to trim the excess fabric away from the corners before you turn right side out, and clip any curves. (There'll probably be something on YouTube if you don't know what I mean)
I've found they look neater with a top stitch all the way round, and it closes the opening too-I usually press once right side out and this should automatically press the edges of the opening at the correct seam allowance.
Jun 2020
11:28am, 9 Jun 2020
23,226 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Thanks, Meg, good idea, I think it does need topstitching - the fabric is quite robust shirting and I think it'll go weird when washed!
Jun 2020
11:33am, 9 Jun 2020
1,734 posts
  •  
panad
I’ve confused myself completely the last couple of days. I’ve been busy turning old t-shirts into matching sets of wunderpants and watson bras...all very successful but wearing them has shown that I’ve sewn the hooks and eyes onto the bra straps the wrong way round - wrong straps rather than inside out - effectively making left-handed bras. Not an issue really, but very confusing getting (un)dressed in my sleepy morning/evening state 🤣
Jun 2020
11:40am, 9 Jun 2020
23,228 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
LOL!
Jun 2020
7:54pm, 9 Jun 2020
38,098 posts
  •  
Purps
So here are some of the clothing items I made yesterday and today.

The shorts grid stated he doesn't like before they were finished, I still don't know what he thinks of them. A pair of shark pants for H, a pair of slightly mishmashed pants for E.

A fantabulous spinning dress for E

Along with matching pants

And today's even more mishmashed pants, the rainbow ones have rainbow, clouds and space fabric, the space pants are for me and I didn't have enough of it so I used some black for the back, I could have chosen something different to make it look really way out there, but figured black was the answer.

Jun 2020
8:15pm, 9 Jun 2020
11,736 posts
  •  
Ness
:)
Jun 2020
8:15pm, 9 Jun 2020
1,736 posts
  •  
panad
Loving these purps 👏😁
Jun 2020
8:35pm, 9 Jun 2020
38,099 posts
  •  
Purps
Thanks. The dress is actually for L not E, my brain and hands weren't communicating.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557