Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
May 2020
8:12am, 1 May 2020
12,613 posts
  •  
Garfield
That's rather mean...people ought to be happy they are still doing orders at all!
May 2020
8:17am, 1 May 2020
17,375 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
garfield people are not nice

son works for a bank taking calls and the abuse from customers (to general staff and managers) has been such that some staff have said they would rather have have no job and are threatening to leave
May 2020
8:25am, 1 May 2020
12,616 posts
  •  
Garfield
Such a shame that. I'm fairly nice to people in retail, having worked in retail in the past...so know that some people can be idiots and don't take things into consideration/context when things don't happen as predicted!
May 2020
8:26am, 1 May 2020
22,967 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
I have practised my double crochet. Started treble and struggling with row ends - where to put the 1st and last stitch - I shall watch Bella Coco until it clicks!
What stitches and knowledge do I need for an Attic24 ripple (is that the simplist wavy one?)?
May 2020
8:28am, 1 May 2020
20,974 posts
  •  
Meglet
Just a triple. You do two into one stitch for an increase, then a decrease which isn’t very difficult. Have a look at her picture tutorials.

Row ends can be a pain, and this is not helped that some patterns count the turning chain as a stitch and some don’t.
May 2020
8:29am, 1 May 2020
22,969 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Thanks Meglet x
May 2020
8:35am, 1 May 2020
12,617 posts
  •  
Garfield
I still think of the crochet stitches in the US names as that was what I started with in Canada and my brain fails to get out of that mode of thinking, even after all these years here (25 now). So what you call double, I call single and what you call treble, I call double, if memory serves me correctly.
May 2020
9:36am, 1 May 2020
20,975 posts
  •  
Meglet
Yes that’s correct Garfield. You have to check whether it’s US or UK terms. The clues are that single crochet and half double are only used in US.
May 2020
11:19am, 1 May 2020
12,618 posts
  •  
Garfield
Yes Meglet! I'd forgotten about half double as I rarely tripped over it as I was mostly knitting or embroidering. I did go through a granny square phase as a teenager but never did much with them!
May 2020
2:22pm, 1 May 2020
22,974 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
I was doing my treble ends wrong. I'm going to change yarn colour and try again.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557