Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Apr 2020
11:29am, 30 Apr 2020
46,285 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It is, Pix! If I need something to deter me from buying more yarn, I put a batch on the selling thread on Ravelry or list a few skeins on eBay to remind myself that the business of answering stupid questions/batting away vultures/packing/posting/waiting to see if anyone's going to say they've found a smell/dog hairs/moths in the package and demand a refund is stressful and it would be better if I just used what I've already got.
Apr 2020
11:31am, 30 Apr 2020
17,357 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Maybe I will "ban" myself from new yarn until I use it! LOL!
Apr 2020
11:31am, 30 Apr 2020
17,358 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
knitted gifts for the whole family forever now!
Apr 2020
11:35am, 30 Apr 2020
46,286 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
:) :) :)

Apart from eL Bee! and Kevin, my family is resistant to knitted gifts. Probably just as well, because I'd rather just knit what I want to knit than knit to order. I'm used to it; when I was younger I'd knit jumpers for my dad and my mum would rip them out and reuse the yarn to make blanket squares or jumpers for random local kids.
Apr 2020
11:36am, 30 Apr 2020
17,360 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
haha
Apr 2020
12:11pm, 30 Apr 2020
3,407 posts
  •  
jabberknit
After some info, please! Currently in lockdown 110 miles from my stash (I've moved in with my old mum for the duration as she wasn't coping well). Family at home would be useless at finding anything appropriate in my stash and sending it.

I now have a brand-new great-niece, so want to get some cheap wool/knitting notions to produce a little cardy or similar while I'm here with mum - any recommendations for good reliable online yarn stores I can explore to get some stuff? I appreciate the current situation means some may be closed or not operating in their usual way, but any suggestions would be appreciated, please. I haven't bought any wool online for years.
Apr 2020
12:22pm, 30 Apr 2020
46,287 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Black Sheep Wools is excellent, jabberknit. Loveknitting and The Knitting Network will also see you right. Stylecraft Bellissima seems to be flavour of the month for smooth acrylic DK and I think they do a baby range :)
Apr 2020
12:24pm, 30 Apr 2020
4,050 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Wool warehouse are very good and quick at delivering. Slightly more delayed due to the virus but still not bad.
Apr 2020
12:25pm, 30 Apr 2020
4,957 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Suggestions for stashbusting - you can knit or crochet for groups such as Emily's Star Knitting Army - facebook.com knitted blankets and items for tiny babies - acrylic only, but they also take blankets for buggies and wheelchairs and sell non-acrylic items to raise funds.

Jabbers I also have a new great-niece - Woolwarehouse is still in business - woolwarehouse.co.uk
Apr 2020
12:25pm, 30 Apr 2020
3,408 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Brilliant, thanks, V'rap

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557