Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Dec 2019
9:26am, 29 Dec 2019
11,566 posts
  •  
Garfield
Unravel appeals to me craft.farnhammaltings.com

I had seen it previously but only shortly after it had taken place.
Dec 2019
7:33pm, 29 Dec 2019
515 posts
  •  
megster
*waves
Am new in here!
I’m just waiting for a cross stitch to arrive - my grandma is 100 in May so I’m doing her one 👍🏼 She did one for my 21st so it’s kinda a full circle thing. Brace yourselves for questions!
Dec 2019
7:36pm, 29 Dec 2019
37,598 posts
  •  
Purps
I love cross stitch, I think it's possibly the first proper crafty thing I did. Sounds lovely megster :)
Dec 2019
7:36pm, 29 Dec 2019
37,599 posts
  •  
Purps
Someone I'm in a crochet group with is coming over from america to Yarndale.
Dec 2019
10:56am, 30 Dec 2019
11,578 posts
  •  
Garfield
I've done some cross stitch years ago...made a couple of doggy things, one labrador for my stepsister and a bichon for my dad, which I've since re-inherited!

I'd like to learn how to crochet again, only the UK terms confuse me compared to the North American terms...ie single crochet...you don't seem to do that here! ;)
Dec 2019
11:00am, 30 Dec 2019
44,512 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The default "language" for most crochet patterns on Ravelry is US terminology so you shouldn't have too much bother finding patterns that make sense to you, Garfield.
Dec 2019
11:04am, 30 Dec 2019
11,581 posts
  •  
Garfield
True enough vrap! I also need to relocate my hooks, somewhere in the house...not only for crocheting but for weaving in ends of my knitting!!
Dec 2019
11:11am, 30 Dec 2019
2,792 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
*waves* another newbie to the thread. Hello to all you creative Fetchies, I have been admiring your work whilst stalking this thread :-)

I brought some crochet hooks and wool earlier in the year as I want to make some items for sleeping angels. I didn't want to muck up the baby wool so I also brought some funky coloured wool to practice with and make myself a blanket of squares.

To date I haven't got very far so am going to give myself a kick to start in 2020.

Hopefully be back in here soon to post a photo of something!
Dec 2019
11:48am, 30 Dec 2019
20,691 posts
  •  
Meglet
I do like crochet. It grows so much quicker than knitting, is easy to rip back if you make a mistake, and is easier to fudge if stitch counts go wrong!
I think the key is staying relaxed and not letting the loops get too tight.

I also hold my wool in the other hand, so for knitting I throw with my tight hand, but for crochet I hold in my left and catch it with the hook in my right.
Dec 2019
2:59pm, 30 Dec 2019
516 posts
  •  
megster
I like crochet too, and re-learnt it a couple of years ago by the power of YouTube

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557