Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

8 lurkers | 169 watchers
Aug 2019
11:51am, 27 Aug 2019
37,124 posts
  •  
purps
That's train tickets in case anyone is thinking we need to book tickets to meet up :)
Aug 2019
8:19pm, 28 Aug 2019
6,465 posts
  •  
Helegant
Great news so far; I've updated the side bar.
Sep 2019
10:04am, 2 Sep 2019
86 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
Can I have recommendations for cotton yarn please. I am making reusable makeup removing pads for stocking presents at Xmas. Thanks! Also any patterns would be useful -either knitting or crochet.
Sep 2019
10:19am, 2 Sep 2019
25,702 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I use King Cole recycled cotton Aran weight for dishcloths and similar. I've just done some baby washcloths in Rowan 4 ply cotton which is much softer and might be enter for faces. Hobbycraft also had some 25g balls of DK cotton in all sorts of jewel colours which caught my eye, but I haven't used any of those so don't know what they'd be like
Sep 2019
10:20am, 2 Sep 2019
25,703 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Better not enter!
Sep 2019
10:30am, 2 Sep 2019
42,979 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I use Rico aran weight cotton yarn for dishcloths and wouldn't particularly want to be using it on my face.
Sep 2019
12:18pm, 2 Sep 2019
25,704 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I did crochet some pads - we found they soaked up a lot of makeup remover and the girls ended up using a lot more. This year I'm trying circles cut from brushed cotton fabric, running round the edges with the overlocker and crocheting a mesh bag for them from the cotton. The bag keeps them together and they can go in the washing machine in it
Sep 2019
12:26pm, 2 Sep 2019
20,516 posts
  •  
Meglet
My teens have some microfibre cloths for makeup removal, they seem to like them
Sep 2019
1:08pm, 2 Sep 2019
3,157 posts
  •  
Raemond
I've used the plain white sugar and cream cotton from Lily for my reusable cotton pads - not sure about UK outlets but you can definitely get it from www.woolly.nl
Sep 2019
2:32pm, 2 Sep 2019
87 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
Thanks for all these ideas etc. I'll keep you posted as to what I do. Hadn't thought about the amount of make-up remover that they would soak up as I don't wear any make-up and hence don't use them!

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557