Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2019
7:10pm, 2 Sep 2019
6,102 posts
  •  
sallykate
I made a custom poncho for a friend earlier this summer. She wanted cotton as her skin tends to react to wool or acrylic. I was worried it would be too hard or too heavy, based on my limited experience of cheap cotton, so checked out a few yarns before plumping for Rowan Summerlite. It worked up really well (soft and a good drape) but is a bit pricey.

HB I made baby wipes from cotton flannelette in much the same way, and a swaddling blanket. Your idea of a mesh bag for washing them is excellent!
Sep 2019
10:21pm, 4 Sep 2019
6,478 posts
  •  
Helegant
Fabric make-up remover pads work much better if they are soaked in hot water and then squeezed out immediately before use.
Sep 2019
7:27pm, 6 Sep 2019
16,455 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Currently trying to use my yarn stash

I have a wool pack for a blanket CAL that I gave up on quickly as too hard for my basic crochet skills

I'm thinking of doing a simple strip blanket but not sure what will be simplest and easiest

Looked on attik 24 and thought about a cupcake blanket but thought I'd ask for thoughts!
Sep 2019
9:46pm, 6 Sep 2019
88 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
I'm doing the Attic 24 granny stripe blanket which is great as my crochet skills are also basic!
Sep 2019
7:38am, 7 Sep 2019
16,456 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Oh missed that one!
Sep 2019
7:39am, 7 Sep 2019
20,522 posts
  •  
Meglet
How about the neat ripple? It looks great and isn't as tricky to do as it looks. She’s got photo tutorials to help
Sep 2019
9:17am, 7 Sep 2019
16,457 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Looks complicated! You sure it's easy!?!?
Sep 2019
9:58am, 7 Sep 2019
20,523 posts
  •  
Meglet
You do an increase and a decrease in each row. You need to be able to count and it helps to be able to ‘read’ the crochet in case you mess up the counting, but it’s all the same stitch.

Try a swatch with a smaller number of stitches to see how you get on.
Sep 2019
10:24am, 7 Sep 2019
37,201 posts
  •  
purps
The sweet pea one from this year is lovely. attic24.typepad.com very simple.
Sep 2019
2:45pm, 7 Sep 2019
3,879 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I love the neat ripple pattern. Easy and curiously satisfying! Currently 'doing' a dune blanket for my daughter. I bought the kit - which was a novelty for me - so got the pattern which is very detailed and easy to follow with photos of the tricky bits!

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557