Garmin

214 watchers
Jan 2023
1:09pm, 10 Jan 2023
28,630 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Has anyone experienced a loss of map on Garmin Connect, and subsequently on Fetch? I know of two Fetchies (me being one) who appear to have lost maps on recent runs. The distance is accurate, and I’ve definitely not amended any settings.

Anyone?
Jan 2023
1:25pm, 10 Jan 2023
19,952 posts
  •  
larkim
I've had it happen infrequently with my wife's watch on the orange site where the distance and pace appear correct, but no trace appears. I put it down to the watch losing signal and replacing the GPS measurements with an estimated pace from cadence instead.
Jan 2023
1:39pm, 10 Jan 2023
28,631 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The distance was very accurate - I know because I plotted the route before I went out. There was no sign of the map on Garmin Connect, nor was there any lat/lng info in the FIT/TCX file.

A friend living locally has had the exact same problem, and it seems to have been the case for a week.

I'm trying a factory reset, and will report back.
Jan 2023
1:43pm, 10 Jan 2023
28,632 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've just factory reset, then done a walk around the garden - the map seemed fine.
Jan 2023
1:55pm, 10 Jan 2023
4,527 posts
  •  
StuH
Not myself, but others I know have had this when starting an activity before achieving a proper GPS lock
Jan 2023
2:11pm, 10 Jan 2023
28,633 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Pretty sure the lock was fine - but I'll find out in a couple of days when I venture out again. Just two miles today, with a few walks to keep my HR under control.
Jan 2023
2:40pm, 10 Jan 2023
1,273 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Not had that issue Fetch, even without a good GPS lock you normally would get some lat/long data even if it was junk.

I was surprised at how accurate the pace / distance was based on cadence the other week when I went through a 1 mile long tunnel and the distance when I got out was pretty close to what I expected.
Jan 2023
3:09pm, 10 Jan 2023
19,953 posts
  •  
larkim
Surely the starting point is to look at the .fit file at source in the Garmin to see if there is any lat/lon data in the source file.
Jan 2023
3:14pm, 10 Jan 2023
28,635 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Yes. There isn't.
Jan 2023
3:21pm, 10 Jan 2023
20,786 posts
  •  
flanker
This used to be a common problem on older gamins. They had limited storage, and when it was full they couldn't save the location data, so just kept a completely accurate running total but dropped the actual data points. Not heard of it being a problem on more recent models (I think the default is to auto-purge when running out of space?) but if a factory reset fixed the problem then that would align with this being the problem as it would clear out the stale data.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.