For those of the left handed persuasion

20 watchers
Sep 2022
10:55pm, 11 Sep 2022
11,658 posts
  •  
Meeps
Both parents and brother righties, I even patted my pregnant tummy lefty style but the boy is right handed lol
Sep 2022
9:34am, 12 Sep 2022
22,128 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm another confusing person. As a baby I was very left-handed dominant, and I still prefer my left hand for what I suppose could be called "instinctive" tasks.

However, for anything that I've been taught to do, or that requires a specifically handed tool to use, I'm right handed because that's what I was taught and it didn't occur to me that there was an alternative.
Sep 2022
3:07pm, 12 Sep 2022
30,447 posts
  •  
macca 53
Thinking about “stuff” as a result of this thread I realised that I use a screwdriver right handed for screwing and left handed for unscrewing 🤷‍♂️
Sep 2022
10:42am, 15 Sep 2022
7,034 posts
  •  
bigleggy
How did I miss this thread !!!

Lefty here - Play guitar left handed, played left wing or left back in football, struggled with some aspects of Ju Jitsu due to my left handedness.

But hold a cricket bat right handed.

Can't use a pair of scissors to save my life tho :-)
Sep 2022
8:10pm, 16 Sep 2022
10,341 posts
  •  
sallykate
Fascinating book on handedness which I recommend: amazon.co.uk

I write with my left hand but do most other things with my right (racquet sports, scissors, other tools, sewing...). The book has a scale and I'm about 3/10 left-handed.

My maternal grandmother was old enough to try to persuade my mother to tie my left hand behind my back when it became clear that was my preferred writing hand!
Sep 2022
8:34pm, 16 Sep 2022
26,969 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Mr W is lefty, with right handed sports.
T11 writes like a lefty but with his right!
Sep 2022
8:40pm, 16 Sep 2022
11,691 posts
  •  
Meeps
My mum was advised to stop me being left handed, she declined.
Sep 2022
9:22pm, 16 Sep 2022
2,592 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I seem to be a bit ambidextrous, able to do some things equally well with either hand such as using a screwdriver which is very "handy" ;-) for doing things in tight spaces/corners. I confuse people sometimes. :-p

However, for some things I can do them only with my left hand, e.g. using a computer mouse - using my right hand is just so wrong and seems to cause a disconnect between my brain and hand :-o
Sep 2022
9:29pm, 16 Sep 2022
2,593 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Several years ago, I was in my front garden and a neighbour and her daughter (about 12/13 yo), started to have a knock about with a tennis ball and rackets in the road. The girl was using her left hand and the mother was telling her to use her usual right hand.
I interjected and said that it is useful to be able to use both hands. The mother agreed with me, and then went back to telling her daughter to use her right hand. ????
Sep 2022
10:20pm, 16 Sep 2022
23,182 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I’m a leftie through and through. I don’t write with my hand curled round, like Prince William, but I am proper cack-handed trying to use a tin opener.

About This Thread

Maintained by UltraDunc
Following on from observations of royal leftists 😀