FetchPoint: The Game

2 lurkers | 281 watchers
May 2023
7:17pm, 28 May 2023
394 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
Not that I'm overthinking this or taking it too seriously, but I'm in the top 5 now, so I've got a few observations.

The game is very biased towards cycle commuters. Flowers are where the big points are if you can ride over a daisy chain of 20 point flowers every day. Conquercise points vary depending on activity. I wouldn't complain if cycling flowers became worth less points than running flowers.

I was missing out on the 200 point delousing bonus as I currently work nights and despite squishing the final bug on the way to work was uploading my commute after the new bug had appeared the next morning. I now upload my commute in two goes, which has solved that problem, but means all my flowers get counted twice per day, which feels a bit like cheating.

I was more or less ignoring bugs as they are 'only' -4 points. However, over 30 days, that becomes -120 each. If you add in the 200 bonus for delousing your circle and the 4 for the bug itself, they are effectively worth 324 points each.

Flowers are planted every half mile. If you always follow the same route, you will still have half mile gaps between them. If you ride in circles for 160m before setting off, they will end up staggered. Repeat for 320m, 480m etc. and you will eventually create a fully loaded daisy chain. I discovered this by accident simply by riding around my circle squishing bugs and collecting gems before joining my regular route.

To take the lead would need an average score of 1000+ per day!
May 2023
10:03pm, 28 May 2023
343 posts
  •  
Bright Strider
You've clearly been doing some thinking, Pale Skinny Vegan.
The guidelines don't explain everything. Everything else can usually be explained here, with respect to Fetchpoint, at least. I remember you asking about the bug bonus.
The way flower watering works is that on the same day the chance of rewatering is zero, then the first day after watering the chance is 1 in 7, on the second day the chance is 2 in 7, carrying on in the same way all the way to seven days after, when the chance of successfully watering a flower is 7 in 7. Even if you have been playing for some years, it can still surprise. It was only relatively recently that I learned, in these discussion pages, that once flowers reach 20, they no longer score.
In the 'Frequently Asked' section of this page, there are only two FAs, and one of them is about bugs. Bugs are important. The value of each bug increases if fellow players go through them.

The bias towards cycling at least has been pointed out before; however, some of us cycle and run; is it fair to penalise that cross training?
Other possible biases of the game are:
Hilly areas versus flat areas.
Urban areas versus rural areas.
Areas with lots of Fetchpointers versus areas with none.
Fetchpointers with lots of spare time versus Fetchpointers with less spare time.
There are probably others.
Personally, I have felt penalised by traffic lights on my bike commute in to work. But, that's the game. I can score flower points on the scenic route, on the way back.
May 2023
11:04pm, 28 May 2023
103,997 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I scored 27000 at one point. I achieved that by cycling the same route regularly, raking in the flowers. Then I gave up as it felt like cheating.
I also once, unknowingly, cycled onto someone elses commute and raked in their flowers and felt guilty... With the distances I used to do, we are talking 1000s.
May 2023
9:05am, 29 May 2023
5,194 posts
  •  
jelly
I rarely cycle! It’s all mostly running or walking!
May 2023
9:48am, 29 May 2023
395 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
I wasn't aware of the random 1:7 scoring for flowers Bright Strider, that's interesting. I could see from my list of markers that they only go up to a maximum of 20 though.
I see what you mean about the various biases as well. I'm lucky that my circle cover the Wyre Forest. I've marked a couple of farms, fenced off areas and an airfield as unreachable, but other than that, not only can I can go anywhere, but I enjoy exploring the remoter areas. That wouldn't be the case if I was in a more urban area and they were in a city centre or on an industrial estate.
May 2023
10:11am, 29 May 2023
18,214 posts
  •  
NDWDave
There is a 400 point relay on the grand Union canal by Paddington station. Easy points if you can run through it - especially if going East
May 2023
10:14am, 30 May 2023
13,596 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
*tempted* ;-)
May 2023
9:25pm, 31 May 2023
18,231 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Do it little nemo. I’m the owner of it
Jun 2023
12:05pm, 4 Jun 2023
18,248 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Someone nudged my relay so I bagged 400 points
Jun 2023
12:40pm, 4 Jun 2023
16,861 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
If I have cleared my bug's, why would I be losing points over night? Why are some flowers different colours?

Have tried to find out why but must be missing something?

Lone player

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Frequently Asked
===========
1) The scoreboard and markers don't 'reset' on the first of the month any more. They work on a rolling 30 day system.
2) You only need to worry about red bugs.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.