Fetch Camper Vans

93 watchers
12 Mar
10:57am, 12 Mar 2024
2,675 posts
  •  
ptr_runner
Hello folks. Just popping in to say Hi. My wife and I are looking to upgrade our tent to a motorhome this spring.

We recently went to a huge motorhome dealer and spent hours looking at different models to work out what style and layout we want. We've settled on a "coachbuilt" or an "alcove" as they're called in Germany. With our budget we're looking at older vehicles (my word the new ones are expensive!) and we think we've found one that fits the bill: fixed bed above the cab, dinette in the middle with 2 seatbelts and then two bunk beds at the back with a small wash room.

I'm planning to call the dealer up this afternoon and chat through the details. I'd like to go and see it, but as it's a 5hr drive away, that's not really feasible.

Anyway, looking forward to joining the chat as our mission to motorhome continues.
12 Mar
11:03am, 12 Mar 2024
3,000 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Sounds exciting.

I'd make sure to do an HPI check on it. I thought first time round no need, as buying from a dealer. That bit me when I came to sell as there was a marker on it that should have been removed years previous. What a headache getting it removed for the sale.
12 Mar
11:05am, 12 Mar 2024
10,812 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Hi ptr_runner welcome to the thread. I hope your choice suits you well.
Weโ€™ve motorhomed for about ten years and have been very happy with the two different models weโ€™ve had.
12 Mar
12:20pm, 12 Mar 2024
2,677 posts
  •  
ptr_runner
Thanks both!
13 Mar
1:43am, 13 Mar 2024
1,926 posts
  •  
Mark J ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
Welcome along ptr_runner.

We're currently toying with upgrading from our 4 berth to a 6 berth. The kids are getting bigger. Apparently they do that. Who knew? Quite like the look of this one: trademe.co.nz
13 Mar
7:58am, 13 Mar 2024
10,814 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Thatโ€™s an interesting layout Mark J ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ. Iโ€™ve not seen a van like that in the UK where the driver and pax cab are not integral with the habitation area.
Is it based on a flatbed vehicle?
13 Mar
8:21am, 13 Mar 2024
4,170 posts
  •  
NordRunner
Had a weird fault from our Peugeot Boxer-based camper van yesterday. After a cold couple of months down to -25C we tried to start it. There is enough power in the battery, but the dash gives a fault called ESC and will not let the engine start.

The ESC fault is not avoided by using a dumb key or by changing the battery in the remote fob. The central remote locking still works. It seems like the key controller unit is not talking to the ECU properly. I tentatively suspect an ECU reset is needed, at least. We'll call the garage today, but if anyone has anything to say we'd be glad to hear it!
13 Mar
9:49am, 13 Mar 2024
1,927 posts
  •  
Mark J ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
Thatโ€™s an interesting layout Mark J ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ. Iโ€™ve not seen a van like that in the UK where the driver and pax cab are not integral with the habitation area. Is it based on a flatbed vehicle?
Is the first time I've seen it too. Not sure. I'll let you know if we go and view though.
13 Mar
12:05pm, 13 Mar 2024
2,680 posts
  •  
ptr_runner
To follow on from my previous post at the top if this page, I called the dealer yesterday about a particular vehicle and the guy could not have been less interested in selling it.

I asked when the MOT expired: he didn't know, I asked if the air conditioning unit worked: he didn't know, I asked if it had any service history: he didn't know.

He said that he doesn't do any work on the vehicles, just prices them cheap and the buyer can do the rest.

Now that would have been fine if this particular vehicle was cheap but looking at the market it isn't really.

Oh well, on to the next one.
13 Mar
2:20pm, 13 Mar 2024
276 posts
  •  
Boffin
Definately one to avoid there ptr_runner ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ‘

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...