EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

70 watchers
Oct 2016
10:45pm, 17 Oct 2016
17,631 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Anyway, don't forget that the EU "situation" regarding immigration was the "racist" one, as it actively prevented people from countries who were culturally dissimilar to our own from coming in.

Now we aren't obliged to take jobseekers from, say, Hungary or Poland, we can actively seek them from Syria, or Afghanistan, or take them from the Calais jungle and let them work. And give free access as soon as we want to 77 million Turks, as post-Brexit Turkey's status will not be dissimilar to Denmark's.
Oct 2016
11:03pm, 17 Oct 2016
10,037 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Anyway we're gonna fix the immigration problem - the solution, make the UK a far less attractive country economically and socially to come to. It's worked before, it'll work again, drive down the value of the pound vs Euro means those European workers won't want to come over here to work. What's that you say - more immigrants come from outside the EU than in.... ah well don't worry about that in this post truth world.
Oct 2016
11:10pm, 17 Oct 2016
2,347 posts
  •  
mr d
To roughly quote Michael Gove Fuckyerself when confronted with facts,"I'm sick of experts".
Oct 2016
8:08am, 18 Oct 2016
17,632 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Absolutely, Chris, that'll stop them sending a portion of their child benefit home to benefit their children. Because it's no longer worth a hill of beans.
Oct 2016
9:59am, 18 Oct 2016
5,971 posts
  •  
Jambomo
I never really understood why it is supposed to be the immigrants fault that they get exploited and wages are driven down.

The fault will surely always be with employers who pay low wages and where these are below the national minimum wage, the fault lies with the government who do not investigate or crack down on them.

Its like immigrants are bad people for coming here, working hard yet being exploited but somehow employers are just acting perfectly responsibly by not paying appropriate wages. How does that work?
Oct 2016
10:07am, 18 Oct 2016
17,634 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Punish the criminals, rather than the victims of crime?

It'll never catch on.
Oct 2016
10:12am, 18 Oct 2016
17,635 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Here's a clue, Jambo. I don't know what it's like in your part of the world (I'm assuming you're in the Lothian region, for some reason), but round here, where most of Britain's food comes from, every election time, if you want to find a massive great "Vote Conservative" sign, just look at the side of any field.

This government will protect those sort of farmers.

Funnily enough, those self same farmers had massive great "Vote Leave" posters in their fields in the Spring.

The cynic in me would suggest that this is because they're not finding the well-protected EU citizens, who have to be treated identically to UK nationals, sufficiently exploitable.
Oct 2016
10:47am, 18 Oct 2016
13,331 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I think, during the so called EU campaign, an interview with a farmer was when I gave up on TV coverage and when I realised all common sense was lost in the "debate". The said farmer wanted more controls on immigration and an end to interference from the EU. Knowing full well the majority of his employees were from eastern europe and he got wads of cash from the EU.

I dare say the tories may well replace EU grants to farmers, they'd be wise too at least, as how we ar enow seeing the imports are going to be more expensive, and unless there is some huge U-turn we're not in the single market.

Incidentally, the idea of driving down wages isn't just in farming. I spent 20 odd years working in telecomms, and wage sthere were driven down too. Partly because of the crash 2000-ish, partly because Asian software engineers are very well educated, very good, very hard working and cheaper! Actually there even priced themselves out of work.

The company I worked for used to have 2000 UK employees, it now has 96, the work still exists, but it is now done in China and India.
Oct 2016
11:18am, 18 Oct 2016
1,755 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Farm labourers wages have always been shite. The work has always been backbreaking.

That's why hardly any Brits will do it.

I pay living wage +20% and provide accommodation. I'm considered to be a namby pamby lefty by some of my erstwhile colleagues.
Oct 2016
11:24am, 18 Oct 2016
10,042 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Nearly 30 years ago, as a student I did farm labouring. The first place was government agricultural station 2.20 an hour, and it worked for pocket money for drinking. The place shut down after one year, the second year, the second place, they bussed in the immigrants/refugees. They charged piece work rates. At best I could do 1.30 an hour, because it wasn't just hard, but if you sped up, then you'd rope in a couple of dodgy spring onions (and when they're covered in muck, it's hard to spot a dodgy one without a well accustomed eye), they'd throw out your lot for that hour or more. I lasted 2 days, because a £10 for a days work was not honest, and wouldn't even last a nights drinking even then. Backbreaking then wasn't a problem, the pay was. I personally don't blame immigration, I blamed the exploitative large name companies there who weren't smacked down for this. It's then left for the smaller scale guys to pay a more decent wage. Capitalism in a microcosm...

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...