EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

70 watchers
Oct 2016
10:18am, 17 Oct 2016
17,627 posts
  •  
DeeGee
But Scottish independence is now the only way that Scotland can be in the EU, as per the democratic will of the majority of Scots.
Oct 2016
11:51am, 17 Oct 2016
5,965 posts
  •  
Jambomo
"What I don't get are yes voters being up in arms when in all probability a yes vote would have seen us out of the U.K. And the EU already !!!! "

We don't know what would have happened with Scotland and membership of the EU, there was no certain answer either way and a big part of the problem being that it wasn't open to discussion properly until we became independent, thus I think why many erred on the side of caution and voted no.

What I do know is that if we had voted yes, we at least would have had a sensible government who had a positive approach to EU membership and would have done as much as possible to try and make us members and to have us ready to be members.

You can say all you like about the SNP (and I am not a member, nor do I like/approve of everything they do) but they have had a quite a few years of being in power up here and they have done a reasonable (not perfect) job. Quite the opposite to the Tory government that we currently have who have destroyed more things with their in-party fighting than can be fixed in a few months. They are doing a better job of putting a case forward for independence than the SNP ever could.
Oct 2016
12:18pm, 17 Oct 2016
10,601 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I might need to challenge the sensible government comments but I will concede the positive approach to EU......

DG - do we know that Scottish Independence would see us remain in the EU ? For all the noises being made I don't think that is clear and would need to be made very clear before we vote again. Salmond/Sturgeon would be happy for us to vote yes thinking we get to remain in EU if it gets independence even if we actually found ourselves out and seeking a way in
Oct 2016
12:30pm, 17 Oct 2016
17,628 posts
  •  
DeeGee
That's not quite what I said, Baz.

Remaining in the UK will definitely take you out of the EU, as Brexit means Brexit. Leaving the EU will either allow Scotland to remain or will at the very minimum allow Scotland to seek EU accession in its own right.

Now, I have no evidence one way or another, but I'd suggest that if a net contributor like Scotland were to come along, they'd be daft to say no, seeing as how, as all commentators tell me, the EU is on its arse economically if rUK clear off.
Oct 2016
12:34pm, 17 Oct 2016
4,841 posts
  •  
Winded
Of course Brexit means Brexit but even with various posturing politicians it is still very unclear what Brexit means.

If Brexit means lip service to the letter of leaving but actually keeping the practical relationship more or less the same for now then there could be a situation where the best "in" the EU deal for Scotland is "out" but still in the U.K.

I can't help feeling this debate is nearly as information poor as the pre-vote Brexit one was.
Oct 2016
1:36pm, 17 Oct 2016
5,967 posts
  •  
Jambomo
We're all going to the Tower :)

theguardian.com
Oct 2016
1:40pm, 17 Oct 2016
10,604 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Winded, think you have said what I was getting at but in a better way.

No one really knows what is likely to happen and so its not possible to make an informed decision. Even if you did know whats going to happen, making an informed decision on whats best is like trying to predict your marathon pace !!!!!
Oct 2016
2:28pm, 17 Oct 2016
5,968 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Great stuff. What was the point of Brexit again? :

ft.com
Oct 2016
2:42pm, 17 Oct 2016
17,629 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm guessing it was all about immigration.
Even if 'they' keep bleating on at me that it wasn't.
Methinks they protest too much.
Oct 2016
4:37pm, 17 Oct 2016
878 posts
  •  
Tonybv9
It was largely about immigration for me. I don't care what you think of me for it. I don't follow the doctrine that all immigration is wonderful and anyone who disagrees with that is a Nazi.

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...