Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
24 Jul
9:29pm, 24 Jul 2024
27,120 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Our son reports his grandma is in good spirits and asking after our holiday and whether our daughter has found a boyfriend. Mrs axe feeling a bit better.
24 Jul
9:29pm, 24 Jul 2024
68,983 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's good
25 Jul
6:19am, 25 Jul 2024
7,282 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Hopefully that's put Mrs Baz's mind at ease for now.
1 Aug
12:39pm, 1 Aug 2024
76,900 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Down at dad's to clear the house 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️.
Please start clearing your clutter now folks 😂
1 Aug
1:01pm, 1 Aug 2024
7,612 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I emptied mum and dad's loft yesterday. Fortunately not too much, but there was my sister's school hockey stick - not used in the last 55 years 🤣🤣
1 Aug
1:42pm, 1 Aug 2024
1,439 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Mr SD is currently going through loads of photo albums from his parents' house. He is keeping rather more photos than I had hoped 🤦‍♀️
1 Aug
1:58pm, 1 Aug 2024
69,091 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sending strength LG
1 Aug
2:02pm, 1 Aug 2024
4,534 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Mr JK scanned all his family photos into the cloud and just kept a few originals. Sadly, a lot of the original photos had no info on, so we've no idea who the people/places were. It still didn't feel quite right binning them though, but there was no real reason to keep them.

My Mum was never a hoarder, so emptying her house when she moved into care wasn't actually that difficult.
1 Aug
2:03pm, 1 Aug 2024
69,092 posts
  •  
LindsD
I took my Mum to the airport yesterday. She is staying with my sister for two weeks. I haven't seen her for two months because of OH's injury - he's been on crutches for seven weeks now after an assault.

She didn't ask after him or ask how I was. She did ask how my work was, and who was with him, because she knows he can't be left. That was after about 2 hours of hearing about her woes. We had a row because I asked her how she was and she said her neck was worse. I said when did it start getting worse, and she said 'it's always been worse'. I couldn't get her to see that 'worse' implies it was once 'better'. I know I shouldn't have engaged, I just couldn't help myself. She's not so much glass half empty as glass broken and all over the floor. So the whole experience with her was either her judging other people (I know I'm judging her) or bemoaning the state of the world and the youth of today and her lot.

I hate spending any time with her as I am always biting my lip and I feel so bad for feeling like this.
1 Aug
2:27pm, 1 Aug 2024
18,020 posts
  •  
Garfield
We're going to be clearing MIL's house in September...it's not large but there's a lot of stuff. That's after hubby did a good clearance of the basement 10 years ago.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.