Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
24 Jul
8:28am, 24 Jul 2024
50,513 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
My mum was a bit down yesterday. She had delays in the sending out of one of her pain medicines (morphine sulfate - liquid morphine?) and was worried she would run out. And she's in increasing pain at the moment, no idea if it's to do with the lung cancer growing or changing. But managed to reassure her that it would come, NHS is just a bit disjointed at the moment. (I think she (and I!) are a bit on the spectrum, so when you do something 10 days in advance and are told there is a week's notice required, you expect it to come in good time.) I think possibly the GPs didn't want to sign off her repeat prescription for this item, because they wanted to check with her "normal" GP who only works 3 days and it might just have fallen between the cracks?

She also hadn't informed the GP of her change in pain symptoms. Again, just that generation I think. No point in bothering the doctors. What else can they do? etc. She's such a trooper. Anyway, she promised to contact them to tell them (I don't know they can or will do anything, but they can't do anything if they don't know, so, first steps and all that!) Might be her back pain is something being referred by the tumours, dunno? She seemed a bit brighter after the chat anyway. Not easy getting old. :-) G
24 Jul
9:36am, 24 Jul 2024
68,974 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sounds tough HappyG
24 Jul
11:30am, 24 Jul 2024
7,280 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
They may be able to increase/change/adjust her meds Happy - always worth the ask rather than assuming nothing can be done. I hope they can make her more comfortable.
24 Jul
11:53am, 24 Jul 2024
50,518 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Little Miss Happy wrote:They may be able to increase/change/adjust her meds Happy - always worth the ask rather than assuming nothing can be done. I hope they can make her more comfortable.

Agree LMH, which is why I got her to commit to phoning the docs to at least inform them. ((( ))) Thanks! :-) G
24 Jul
1:11pm, 24 Jul 2024
27,116 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We have had a text from BiL and Mrs Axe has called the doctor.

They are pretty sure the bladder cancer is back and have ruled out any more tests as they are too invasive in her frail condition

Sounds like they don’t expect anything to happen soon and they will make sure she is comfortable. They said don’t rush home but if anything changes they will let us know.

Mrs Axe understandably quite shaken up. Getting home quickly from here isn’t something that is easy.

Our son will pop in tonight to see her and show some of our photos.
24 Jul
1:17pm, 24 Jul 2024
18,002 posts
  •  
Garfield
So sorry to hear this.x It's going to be hard for everyone Bazoaxe.
24 Jul
1:32pm, 24 Jul 2024
54,292 posts
  •  
McGoohan
This sounds very hard on your family Baz. Best wishes to you all.
24 Jul
1:34pm, 24 Jul 2024
76,806 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh Baz that will be hard for you until you get back.
24 Jul
1:36pm, 24 Jul 2024
68,976 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's so tough, Baz. Thinking of you all x
24 Jul
1:39pm, 24 Jul 2024
50,519 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's bad news Bazo. Mind you, my mum is I suspect going to "die with cancer" not "die of cancer", so at 80 plus I'm not sure cancer is necessarily going to make things any worse. Try and enjoy rest of your holiday.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.