Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
23 Jul
11:07am, 23 Jul 2024
68,968 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yeah it does help. I feel very alone sometimes though my (abroad) sister does what she can. I can at least talk to her about things and we usually agree.
23 Jul
11:45am, 23 Jul 2024
87,156 posts
  •  
Diogenes
As an only child I never really had the problem of disagreeing about things or feeling that I had to take on more than my fair share of the responsibility for my parents. Being the way I am, not good at conflict or asking for or accepting help, this was ideal for me.

Where shared sibling responsibility doesn't work it must be very frustrating. My thoughts are with you all currently caring for elderly relatives.
23 Jul
11:55am, 23 Jul 2024
7,277 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
(((MM)))

McG - a caring supportive consensus has to be the optimum in these sort of situations. I had to fight BiL and NSiL at times which definitely increased stress levels.
23 Jul
12:56pm, 23 Jul 2024
76,795 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Sometimes having siblings doesn't help

My son is my only child ( he has half sisters on his dad's side) so I do wonder how he wouldn't manage although he did say I was straight into a home
23 Jul
1:43pm, 23 Jul 2024
17,998 posts
  •  
Garfield
Hubby is an only child so the MIL issues are his and mine by extension.

Stepmother's celebration went well...my sister and stepsiblings had each written letters to her, along with the grandchildren, who are all grown now too. It was lovely to hear their reminiscences. I didn't see her that often myself as I moved to the UK two years after dad married her, and only spent time when we were over nearly every year. We did like our chats and food...and watching tennis if I was over at the right time of year.
23 Jul
4:22pm, 23 Jul 2024
68,970 posts
  •  
LindsD
Glad it went well
23 Jul
10:26pm, 23 Jul 2024
28,669 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Doctors say nothing new wrong with mum. There is clearly something wrong, so will have to do some trial & improvement (food diary etc)
24 Jul
1:16am, 24 Jul 2024
68,971 posts
  •  
LindsD
I suppose good news of sorts, Lizzie
24 Jul
5:54am, 24 Jul 2024
7,279 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Good but frustrating news Lizzie.
24 Jul
8:13am, 24 Jul 2024
54,288 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Frustrating for you, Lizzie

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.