Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
23 Jul
7:22am, 23 Jul 2024
68,964 posts
  •  
LindsD
((MM))
23 Jul
7:40am, 23 Jul 2024
12,920 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
(MM)
23 Jul
8:02am, 23 Jul 2024
76,792 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Fingers crossed Lizzie

Good to hear about your BiL stepping up Baz.

Big hugs MM (())

Finalising plans with my sister for our trip to my dad’s next week. Can’t believe that it will be a year next month since he died. It will be good to get the house emptied so that at least it would feel closure to that part. Goodness knows when the estate will be wound up. They keep asking for more and more paperwork.
23 Jul
8:05am, 23 Jul 2024
27,111 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It also sounds like the blood in the urine is being investigated while she is in which means hopefully when home we don’t need the hospital transport for the other appointments

I guess though the physios will have their work cut out assessing if she can go home.
23 Jul
8:08am, 23 Jul 2024
68,965 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sounds like it might have been a blessing in the long run that she ended up in hospital, Baz
23 Jul
8:17am, 23 Jul 2024
54,283 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Your BiL seems such hard work Baz. It sounds like he parachutes in from time to time, does his bit then takes off again, and I assume he thinks that's him having done his duty and he can go back to radio silence for a while. I think Linds is right - looks like she's in the right place for the time being.
23 Jul
8:19am, 23 Jul 2024
27,112 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
BiL will be mighty pissed off we were not around to deal with this. I guess though many of the times in hospital have been when we are away. It’s odd how that happens.
23 Jul
8:41am, 23 Jul 2024
68,967 posts
  •  
LindsD
Is it odd, or is it that your care keeps her out of hospital when you are there?
23 Jul
9:21am, 23 Jul 2024
27,113 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It’s hard to know but it’s happened at least four times.
23 Jul
9:32am, 23 Jul 2024
54,284 posts
  •  
McGoohan
It does make me appreciate that although we're in a similar situation, my wife does at least have three siblings who step up and share out the responsibility pretty evenly.

Speaking of which Liebling and her sister R - who took me for *my* op yesterday - are going to the in-laws tomorrow to look after their Dad while their other sister takes their Mum for *her* op.

There was supposed to be someone from the care company but she's had to cry off because *she's* now in hospital for some emergency procedure!

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.