Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
18 Mar
8:04am, 18 Mar 2024
74,732 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I think that’s spot on sadly .
jda
18 Mar
8:40am, 18 Mar 2024
16,708 posts
  •  
jda
While she has her daughter at her beck and call she’s no reason to change her mind.
18 Mar
9:35am, 18 Mar 2024
1,368 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
In the Sunday Times letters yesterday,

'Once you find yourself clearing a dead relative's house, you will find yourself put off consumerism for ever'. M-i-l has moved into nursing home and is on end of life care so, as we live so far away, every time we visit we do a bit more clearing out. The amount of stuff and clutter! Parents-in-law haven't moved house since the 70's and were great collectors of 'stuff '. I am definitely not, so I'm becoming best friends with the local charity shops! (Got to laugh, otherwise it would all become too much).
jda
18 Mar
9:52am, 18 Mar 2024
16,709 posts
  •  
jda
Yeah we’re starting on that with FiL’s house. Plan is to salvage a handful of things and then just pay a clearance company to do the bulk of it. Looks like charity shops do this for a reasonable fee, they will sell anything worthwhile. Last time I did a house clearance (grandmother’s house) we used an auction house and made a decent profit but there’s not enough stuff in decent condition here to bother with that.

My parents house will be a much worse job because much bigger and they accumulated a load of stuff from one set of their parents too (oh and my sister who lived there prior to her death). Plus plenty of stuff that doesn’t belong in a charity shop. Oh, my uncle has no closer relatives though we do fantasise he might have a secret lover or else just leave it all to a favourite charity. Otherwise that will be another house stuffed full of 60 years worth of stuff (including the other grandparents’ detritus as he lived with them and stayed in the house after they died).

If we did it all ourselves it could easily take the best part of a decade and it’s just not worth it! I’m already thinking of downsizing and we don’t have children to dump the task on.
18 Mar
10:54am, 18 Mar 2024
7,029 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It definitely makes you think stilldreaming.

I'm not a great collector of 'stuff' fortunately and have no heirs or relatives who are going to get lumbered with the job of clearing up after me once I'm gone but I still like to have regular clearouts.
18 Mar
11:01am, 18 Mar 2024
53,868 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Coincidentally just happen to be clearing out some of my own stuff today. Payslips from 1994? Insurance certificate from 2002? In the bin. Wouldn't want my kids to have to sort through this stuff.
18 Mar
11:05am, 18 Mar 2024
49,634 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
McG, in my case, I wish I DID have my payslips from 1994. Specifically 1992 - 1995, because I can't find the pension I was contributing to back then!

I recommend divorce as a great way of clearing out. I was living out of the back of a Vauxhall Astra for a few weeks in 2002! :-O

But yes, if someone had to clear our place just now, it would be a nightmare. Paperwork, cables for things I don't have any more blah, blah! :-) G
18 Mar
11:15am, 18 Mar 2024
67,223 posts
  •  
LindsD
Mum is doing it bit by bit 'so we don't have to deal with it'.

I went to our storage unit this weekend and there's defo a lot of stuff in there that is going straight in the bin
18 Mar
12:21pm, 18 Mar 2024
5,748 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Still shredding credit card statements from my Dad dated 2019, but getting on with it. I did mine over the Christmas hols so my son won't have to. Definitely trying to work on a bit more of my own stuff.
3M
18 Mar
1:19pm, 18 Mar 2024
23,604 posts
  •  
3M
We recently (last summer) burned bank statements going back to 2005 in the firepit ... and payslips covering back to 1999! (Kept all the P60s, though.) Took flippin' ages though, since the paper used to be quite good quality. More recent ones burned through more quickly.
But when it comes to outdated and largely obsolete tech, I probably have a whole museum's worth. And cables for things that I don't have... I need to find a suitable recipient. It hurts to just take it to the tip.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.